Andrean

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
warrior

Re: Andrean

Post by warrior »

VikingNation wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:59 pm
Bearcat C'mon Man, the whole private vs public argument is BS. How many Valpo kids do you see on that roster for Andrean? Its like 4.

Kids from Valpo want to go play for Marshall at Valpo High because of the culture he has built that translates to a great on field product. If you don't want kids in your district to attend Andrean than you have to give them a reason to stay.
That's right, just get better!

Bearcat Nation

Post by Bearcat Nation »

VikingNation wrote:
Bearcat C'mon Man, the whole private vs public argument is BS. How many Valpo kids do you see on that roster for Andrean? Its like 4.

Kids from Valpo want to go play for Marshall at Valpo High because of the culture he has built that translates to a great on field product. If you don't want kids in your district to attend Andrean than you have to give them a reason to stay.
My argument isn't with where kids attend school. There have been students that resided within the Union Township School Corp. boundaries that have attended other schools, including Valparaiso High School. There have been students who attended Wheeler High School and did not reside within the UTSC boundaries as well. I don't have a problem with people choosing what they believe is the best opportunity for their children.

My argument is with the IHSAA's classification of the p/p's on the same basis as the public schools when the p/p's aren't required to "play by the same rules" as the public schools are. Particularly, the p/p's can self-nominate their student body, i.e. the do not have to admit any and all students the way public schools must.

If the "whole public vs. private argument" is BS, why do other states high school athletic associations apply a multiplier to p/p's enrollment figures and only the IHSAA (to the best of my knowledge) has instituted a "success factor" (which isn't working)? Does the IHSAA know something that all these other governing bodies don't?
October 21, 2011: Wheeler 12, Andrean 7
Click here

warrior

Post by warrior »

Bearcat Nation wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:35 pm
My argument isn't with where kids attend school. There have been students that resided within the Union Township School Corp. boundaries that have attended other schools, including Valparaiso High School. There have been students who attended Wheeler High School and did not reside within the UTSC boundaries as well. I don't have a problem with people choosing what they believe is the best opportunity for their children.

My argument is with the IHSAA's classification of the p/p's on the same basis as the public schools when the p/p's aren't required to "play by the same rules" as the public schools are. Particularly, the p/p's can self-nominate their student body, i.e. the do not have to admit any and all students the way public schools must.

If the "whole public vs. private argument" is BS, why do other states high school athletic associations apply a multiplier to p/p's enrollment figures and only the IHSAA (to the best of my knowledge) has instituted a "success factor" (which isn't working)? Does the IHSAA know something that all these other governing bodies don't?
Unfortunately, the multiplier is not working as intended in other states either. I only see 2 practical solutions:

1. Private school and publics with open enrollment compete in their own division(s).
2. Eliminate HS sports altogether and go with an academy model similar to what is done in Europe. I believe this is eventually going to happen. Maybe not in my lifetime, but it's going to happen.

DT is long gone from this message board and I rarely saw eye to eye with the man, but one thing he professes that I wholeheartedly agree with is that private schools in Indiana have zero business playing in 1A/2A.

footballwrestler

Post by footballwrestler »

Bearcat Nation wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:35 pm
VikingNation wrote:

Because the IHSAA is scared you-know-what-less of being sued for a multiplier. That’s the main reason. Indy lawyers ready at the drop of a hat (or so it was insinuated by Bobby Cox at past AD-association meetings in the past).

Silly to have any privates playing in 1A or 2A.

Bearcat Nation

Post by Bearcat Nation »

warrior wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:52 pm

Unfortunately, the multiplier is not working as intended in other states either. I only see 2 practical solutions:

1. Private school and publics with open enrollment compete in their own division(s).
2. Eliminate HS sports altogether and go with an academy model similar to what is done in Europe. I believe this is eventually going to happen. Maybe not in my lifetime, but it's going to happen.

DT is long gone from this message board and I rarely saw eye to eye with the man, but one thing he professes that I wholeheartedly agree with is that private schools in Indiana have zero business playing in 1A/2A.
I'll agree that the multiplier is not a perfect solution - but I believe it's better than the "success factor".

The issue isn't open enrollment. Many public schools have open enrollment. The issue is the public schools MUST enroll nearly anyone who applies, while the p/p's can exclude students at will. Because of this, a comparison of a p/p student body to a public school student body within an IHSAA athletic class generally isn't an "apples to apples" comparison.

I also believe that HS sports are moving, and will continue to move, towards an academy model. It seems to me that football is one of the least affected sports however.

I don't necessarily agree that p/p's have zero business playing in 1A/2A.
Click here

Bearcat Nation

Post by Bearcat Nation »

footballwrestler wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:50 pm

Because the IHSAA is scared you-know-what-less of being sued for a multiplier. That’s the main reason. Indy lawyers ready at the drop of a hat (or so it was insinuated by Bobby Cox at past AD-association meetings in the past).

Silly to have any privates playing in 1A or 2A.
Lawsuits are the reason that Bobby Cox often used to justify the success factor instead of a multiplier. However, how do other states manage to implement a multiplier? Why haven't lawsuits against other states' multipliers been successful?

The IHSAA does not seem to be scared you-know-what-less of being sued for their eligibility decisions - but that's another discussion.

All smoke and mirrors. There are many examples that show the IHSAA is not about what is best for the student athletes; The IHSAA is about personal power and what is best for the IHSAA.
Click here

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

Andrean has 413 students, what class do you expect them to play in?

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

VikingNation wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:22 pm
B1G (is that even the logo anymore)?
:lol:

AD#8

Post by AD#8 »

If you applied the Illinois multiplier they would be credited with being a school of 681. That enrollment would put them in 3A for football.

warrior

Post by warrior »

VikingNation wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:22 pm
413 isn't the number that matters. 80% of the Andrean student population plays sports - about 330 kids. Assuming Hobart and Lowell have about 1200 kids, 330 would represent about 27% of their student populations. Do you think Lowell and Hobart have 27% of their student population playing sports? Multi sport athletes still count as one btw.

But, if Kilmer and Osika worked a little harder this topic isn't even up for debate. The publics need to do better...