Portage Opening

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
paintballer

Portage Opening

Post by paintballer »

Portage has officially opened. Any candidate preferences? Should any other jobs open for this next season?

Slicer46

Re: Portage Opening

Post by Slicer46 »

Is this just based off of the openings on the corporation website or has there been an official statement from the coach/school?

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

head coach - paintballer

DC - jimbo

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

I heard Hokie Bob was throwing his hat in the ring.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

paintballer

Post by paintballer »

We can now add Griffith to the list of openings this offseason.

paintballer

Post by paintballer »

BallinFreak wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:27 pm
head coach - paintballer

DC - jimbo
That would be quite the combo ballin. We'll see if one day we can make that happen somewhere

Fadely23

Post by Fadely23 »

It’s official. I really don’t think it’s going to matter who the coach is going to be unless the administration starts investing into the football program. I’ve coached under a handful of guys and I believe chestovich is a very under rated coach. Personally learned a lot from being at portage last few years. I hope he lands somewhere.

Portage should be an intriguing job. Started a freshman at QB and was getting hot towards the end of the season. Also started a freshman offensive lineman. Lot of talented sophomores and a deep freshman class.

IF I were the AD. My short list of guys I would want would be as follows.

1. Roy Richards (Defensive coordinator @ M.C.) -Turned around a horrible Hammond Morton program and turned them into a yearly contender. I know he’s getting up there in age, but I think he has a few years left to turn Portage around.

2. Josh Wissing (Offensive coordinator @ Merrillville)- His offense has been one of the top in the region while he’s been the signal caller. Before he got there, the pirates were struggling. He has been a big contributor to the pirates turn around. Also already a teacher (dean of students) at willowcreek middle school.

3. Brian Parker (HC @ Hanover Central) - 42-16 in 5 years at HC. He has this program clicking on all cylinders. Not sure he would be interested, but I’d still try to get him to leave 3A to come up to 6A.

4. Phil Mason (HC @ Michigan City) - Showed interest before when the job opened up. His first season in 2016 he won 7 games at city after only winning 2 games the season prior. Possibly do the same at portage? Again, I don’t think he will be leaving, but after a bad season maybe he will want a change in scenery.

Slicer46

Post by Slicer46 »

Fadely23 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:41 am
It’s official. I really don’t think it’s going to matter who the coach is going to be unless the administration starts investing into the football program. I’ve coached under a handful of guys and I believe chestovich is a very under rated coach. Personally learned a lot from being at portage last few years. I hope he lands somewhere.

Portage should be an intriguing job. Started a freshman at QB and was getting hot towards the end of the season. Also started a freshman offensive lineman. Lot of talented sophomores and a deep freshman class.

IF I were the AD. My short list of guys I would want would be as follows.

1. Roy Richards (Defensive coordinator @ M.C.) -Turned around a horrible Hammond Morton program and turned them into a yearly contender. I know he’s getting up there in age, but I think he has a few years left to turn Portage around.

2. Josh Wissing (Offensive coordinator @ Merrillville)- His offense has been one of the top in the region while he’s been the signal caller. Before he got there, the pirates were struggling. He has been a big contributor to the pirates turn around. Also already a teacher (dean of students) at willowcreek middle school.

3. Brian Parker (HC @ Hanover Central) - 42-16 in 5 years at HC. He has this program clicking on all cylinders. Not sure he would be interested, but I’d still try to get him to leave 3A to come up to 6A.

4. Phil Mason (HC @ Michigan City) - Showed interest before when the job opened up. His first season in 2016 he won 7 games at city after only winning 2 games the season prior. Possibly do the same at portage? Again, I don’t think he will be leaving, but after a bad season maybe he will want a change in scenery.
Considering what happened the last time he applied to a bottom DAC school, I would be shocked if Brian Parker applies. Eric Schreiber Jr or Cody French would be more realistic, although not very likely.

Fadely23

Post by Fadely23 »

I actually did message Schreiber Jr, and told him he should apply. I really think he would be a good fit. Did a good job at west side. He said he’s perfectly happy where he is right now at Hobart. What happen to Brian Parker before?

Slicer46

Post by Slicer46 »

Fadely23 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:35 am
I actually did message Schreiber Jr, and told him he should apply. I really think he would be a good fit. Did a good job at west side. He said he’s perfectly happy where he is right now at Hobart. What happen to Brian Parker before?
Front runner at La Porte this spring and dropped out