Merrillville/Lowell scrimmage observation

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
DACfanatic

Merrillville/Lowell scrimmage observation

Post by DACfanatic »

Where do I begin. For a scrimmage there was a huge crowd at merrillville a lot of hype for merrillville and lowell in the crowd. Let me start with lowell. They have a decent line they pulled off one good run against merrillville starting D. Otherwise merrillville pushed them around with their fast/quick/athletic line play. Starters didn’t play long for merrillville on the defensive side. Lowell’s QB had some really good throws also. Lowell defense is the same old/same old.

Merrillville: where to begin. There defense starters may have played 7 snaps the entire scrimmage coaches pulled them due to them already missing 3 starters for a few weeks. But from what I saw the defense was quicker/more athletic/younger there are some spots that need to grow like there LBs. They are physical and have speed and keep everything in front of them. Merrillville DBs looked good.

The merrillville offense was a completely different ball game. They have 3 outstanding physical quick RBs. The star would be there back up RB that reminded me of a mini marshawn lynch. He lowers his shoulder. He knows how to use his body and he stiff armed 6 people on 1 run. He is an angry little man 😂. Merrillville WRs they are athletic and can get open.
The QBs were the problem with this scrimmage I would assume Gary westside transfer pope would be the starter. He hasn’t played much in 3 years. He was wild… forced a lot of dangerous passes. Overthrew and under threw WRs.has major mobility. Best thing he did was hand the ball off and throw the screens. He has an average arm but his accuracy is an issue. The back up QB is a sophomore named Jordan. Has a great arm for a sophomore. Sees the field extremely well he was missing the WRs on the deep pass by maybe a step or two. But the passes were on point and all catchable. Merrillville reminds me alot of their 2019 team that played Carmel and semistate and went into that game with 1 loss on the season. This isn’t your down the field threat merrillvile team. This is a dominate time of possession and use our skill guys to move the ball team to start the year!

Lowell wins this scrimmage by a score of 9:4

But I’ll say it again none of it was on their varsity defense. And the only varsity offesne that played for merrillvile was the QBs. Starting WRs were on sideline after about 10 plays.

Take this observation as you want. Not these teams have potential to make some noise

CPbulldogs2024

Re: Merrillville/Lowell scrimmage observation

Post by CPbulldogs2024 »

Had a friend that was there and he said the same thing. He used to coach the westside kid in 7 V 7 and said when the kid is on it’s heard to stop him. But when he is off you better run the ball because he will force passes that turn into ints. Heard he threw 2 of them yesterday to Lowell JV defense

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

He did. There’s backup looks a lot better. There must be something they didn’t show in the scrimmage for the reason this kid is starting for them. If I was there coach I’m making a switch or running a 2 qb system

CPbulldogs2024

Post by CPbulldogs2024 »

DACfanatic wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:22 pm
He did. There’s backup looks a lot better. There must be something they didn’t show in the scrimmage for the reason this kid is starting for them. If I was there coach I’m making a switch or running a 2 qb system
If the backup was their backup from last year. He had a really strong arm. And he was a freshman if I’m. It mistaken. He played their JV last year. His arm was sting but he has no mobility.