Merrillville done?

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
scarab527

Re: Merrillville done?

Post by scarab527 »

The transfer portal giveth, and the transfer portal taketh away.

In all seriousness, I think some kids (or maybe more so parents) think that just by transferring to a “better program”, they’ll get better offers than they otherwise would have. But the thing is, with football, if you’re not a literal genetic freak, your odds of playing this game at the highest level are very low, no matter how good of a player you are at the high school level. Colleges are looking at measurables, and if you don’t meet certain thresholds, it doesn’t matter where you play high school ball, you won’t play D1. I know that’s harsh, but it’s truthfully the reality of the situation. If you have the talent and the genetics, they’ll find you, no matter where you play. And if you don’t, it doesn’t matter where you go.

CPbulldogs2024

Post by CPbulldogs2024 »

scarab527 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:28 pm
The transfer portal giveth, and the transfer portal taketh away.

In all seriousness, I think some kids (or maybe more so parents) think that just by transferring to a “better program”, they’ll get better offers than they otherwise would have. But the thing is, with football, if you’re not a literal genetic freak, your odds of playing this game at the highest level are very low, no matter how good of a player you are at the high school level. Colleges are looking at measurables, and if you don’t meet certain thresholds, it doesn’t matter where you play high school ball, you won’t play D1. I know that’s harsh, but it’s truthfully the reality of the situation. If you have the talent and the genetics, they’ll find you, no matter where you play. And if you don’t, it doesn’t matter where you go.
100% agree. Parkhurst posted on Fb that even if he left. He hopes he does great things. More people need to support no matter how much transfers piss us all off. It just sucks for them being that it’s Illinois taking their talent. Heard the same thing happens yearly to lake central and they can’t stop it.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

DACfanatic wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:46 pm
Boilernation wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:19 pm
CPbulldogs2024 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:10 pm
Hearing rumors that merrillville has lost a lot of players! There apparently were 15 Illinois high school coaches in their stands during their scrimmage and they had meetings with players on Saturday. I can confirm that Trey stephens has left merrillville and is headed to Morgan park high school. Anyone know of anyone else?
Is this a joke? 15 Illinois coaches showing up to a Merrillville scrimmage to poach players sounds like a poorly crafted rumor.

I can confirm that the following schools had someone from there staff there..

Joliet catholic
Lincolnway east
Homewood floosmoor
Mt Carmel
St. Rita
Hersey
Marist
Brother rice.

Those are the ones that I saw at their scrimmage. There may be more I do not know.

But I can also confirm.. that I heard many of them say merrillvilles junior and sophomore classes are potentially top 5 in the entire state. They potentially have 17-20 division 1 prospects. But I don’t judge talent. They looked really good. But Trey leaving will hurt them to start year.

I can also confirm.. that they have a sophomore that looks like Michigan player Kenneth grant. He is a big boy listed 6’4 395lbs. He can move.. and is strong. But he is a back up NT. Saw a video of him squating over 700lbs. Reminds me of that grant kid. Guess we will see how he turns out too!
17-20 D1 prospects in 2 classes? Hello Parkhurst #2. Just stop. Your hyberbole is proven wrong every year. Why did you throw Hersey into that list? Why the F would a below average football program from Arlington Heights think they're going to get Merrillville kids to transfer? I'm just curious, considering the list of coaches is "confirmed", were they wearing team gear, did the notify Merrillville's staff they were in attendance, or did they all come dressed in disguise? Honestly, even if this wild story were to be true it just makes Merrillville look like a complete sh** show to allow that to even happen on their campus.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

Again, unless it is a closed scrimmage how are you going to check at the gate who attends and who does not? It could be all of the coaches decided to get together for an evening of fun and football. With Hudl and the right connections scouting has become passe' as leather helmets and the flying wedge. However, sometimes coaches like to put the hairy eyeball on a prospective student.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

cridge

Post by cridge »

Wow! Stephens finally left the Plantaion. interesting

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

Nutsy wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:12 pm
Again, unless it is a closed scrimmage how are you going to check at the gate who attends and who does not? It could be all of the coaches decided to get together for an evening of fun and football. With Hudl and the right connections scouting has become passe' as leather helmets and the flying wedge. However, sometimes coaches like to put the hairy eyeball on a prospective student.

Nut
You can't. But how was it "verified" that all of those coaches were there? And have we really stooped to a level of that many coaches attending a scrimmage to blatantly poach players? Just sounds like another one of Parkhurst's delusional rumors.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

Prob needs more verification... but NOTHING would surprise me these days. The next few weeks will bear the fruit of the truth so to speak. Set back, get the popcorn and see what happens.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

Nutsy wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:34 pm
Prob needs more verification... but NOTHING would surprise me these days. The next few weeks will bear the fruit of the truth so to speak. Set back, get the popcorn and see what happens.

Nut
Unfortunately, I agree. It's wild how the transfer portal has extended down to the HS ranks. At least HS shold be immune from the formation of Super Conferences. I can't believe we're about to see Oregon, USC, Washington, and UCLA on Big Ten schedules. Merrillville has benefited greatly from getting legit D1 recruits out of Hammond and Gary. I guess it's only a matter of time that they lost players as well. Though I don't Stephens has any chance at going D1. And why to Morgan Park? They're not exactly a football factory.

cridge

Post by cridge »

Boilernation wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:32 pm
Nutsy wrote:

Nut
Unfortunately, I agree. It's wild how the transfer portal has extended down to the HS ranks. At least HS shold be immune from the formation of Super Conferences. I can't believe we're about to see Oregon, USC, Washington, and UCLA on Big Ten schedules. Merrillville has benefited greatly from getting legit D1 recruits out of Hammond and Gary. I guess it's only a matter of time that they lost players as well. Though I don't Stephens has any chance at going D1. And why to Morgan Park? They're not exactly a football factory.
Still haven't put 2 and 2 together. Morgan park is no factory but its not the plantation

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

cridge wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:13 pm
Boilernation wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:32 pm
Nutsy wrote:

Nut
Still haven't put 2 and 2 together. Morgan park is no factory but its not the plantation
That’s a bold statement. Any facts to back it up?