Region contenders

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
pvsharks

Re: Region contenders

Post by pvsharks »

If both the Brickies and the Red Devils met in championship, It is still HOBART vs LOWELL. As far as the Brickies not competing for 5-7 years, the 8th grade team is the real deal and appears to have the second best quarterback in his grade in region.

Brickman2020

Post by Brickman2020 »

pvsharks wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:44 am
If both the Brickies and the Red Devils met in championship, It is still HOBART vs LOWELL. As far as the Brickies not competing for 5-7 years, the 8th grade team is the real deal and appears to have the second best quarterback in his grade in region.
Its really hard to get excited about middle school teams. You have kids that develop faster and just dominate before everyone catches up to them in high school. You will have kids go to Andrean, Bishop Noll, Marian Catholic and Mount Carmel. You will have kids move away from the district and kids stop playing to focus on other sports.

Being a Hobart guy you just can't get excited about anything but Varsity because look at LC they have great JV teams and we see how well that translates

pvsharks

Post by pvsharks »

Point well taken. This years current seniors had a successful middle school.

CB4

Post by CB4 »

I wouldn't call a 2-1-1 record the real deal and they have Chesterton up next which is usually one of Hobart's toughest games for 8th grade. Also how does one rate any middle school quarterback without seeing every 8th grade quarterback play or even throw one ball? :roll: Brickman is right you can't put to much into middle school success. To many variables happen after. Actions speak louder than words. The kids that stay hungry and put the work in get it done when it's their time on the varsity

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

pvsharks wrote:
Who do you believe is the best QB in this 8th grade group, in the region?

Broadway Joe

Post by Broadway Joe »

Dann Ellenwood wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:55 pm
pvsharks wrote:
Funny question when I would bet the Board couldn't even come up with a consensus on who the best HS QB in the region is!!

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

Broadway Joe wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 pm
Dann Ellenwood wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:55 pm
pvsharks wrote:
Funny question when I would bet the Board couldn't even come up with a consensus on who the best HS QB in the region is!!
Best QB in the Region is Andrean's Joe Ciminio. Grimes went down for us and could have been awesome but football is like that sometimes.

Blaze Cano has good stats but Hanover Central not only dropped Andrean but play a pretty soft schedule which has allowed for their stats this year.

Andrean's QB is legit torching defenses, last Friday he went threw 3 TDs in the first half against Lowell and finished with 206 yards and 4 TDs.

8th grade football means absolutely nothing.

HanShotFirst

Post by HanShotFirst »

One could argue that Cimino isn't even the best QB in his conference. Hobart's Riley Johnston has just 28 fewer yards passing and 252 more yards rushing with one less game played. #2 passer, #5 rusher, and #1 in total yards in the conference. Slight edge to Cimino in TDs, 20 to Johnston's 19.

In terms of the entire area, it's Merrillville's Angel Nelson at the top. 1688 passing, 200+ yards per game, 17 TDs, passer rating of 134 - only playing eight games. Give him or Johnston an extra game and it's a different conversation IMHO.

1. Nelson
2. Johnston
3. Cimino

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

HanShotFirst wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:56 pm
One could argue that Cimino isn't even the best QB in his conference. Hobart's Riley Johnston has just 28 fewer yards passing and 252 more yards rushing with one less game played. #2 passer, #5 rusher, and #1 in total yards in the conference. Slight edge to Cimino in TDs, 20 to Johnston's 19.

In terms of the entire area, it's Merrillville's Angel Nelson at the top. 1688 passing, 200+ yards per game, 17 TDs, passer rating of 134 - only playing eight games. Give him or Johnston an extra game and it's a different conversation IMHO.

1. Nelson
2. Johnston
3. Cimino
Let's start dissecting your comment with Angel Nelson. It is it really that hard to have those kind of numbers when you are surrounded Marcus Hardy, Jojo, and Amrani (pre-injury) and the other athletes at Merrillville. Angel is surrounded by multiple all area players at wideout.

Riley Johnston is not even close to as a good Cimino. Riley is short, makes bad reads, and makes majority of his completions on the run because he can't sit in the pocket. He really struggled against the tough teams on their schedule and threw an absolute heinous pick 6 to Andrean when his team needed him. You can't put a player above another when they don't win the head to head battle.

Its tough to go purely off stats because Andrean has blown out so many teams this year that their starters have really only played a few full games all year. Even last Friday against Lowell starters only played a couple series to open the third since it was 28-0 at halftime.

The best QB in the area cannot just be based on stats or else Blaze Cano from Hanover Central would be in your list.

It pains me to not be able to make the argument for our guy Maxiums Grimes but I watch a ton of region football and I am telling you the kid at Andrean is one of the best in the area.

HanShotFirst

Post by HanShotFirst »

You are backtracking. Cimino has gone from outright best to "one of the best." Your words, not mine. Given his surroundings, are the likes of Thornton, Flesher, Paul, Bowen, or Walsh not All-State/Area players for the 59ers? Johnston has one guy in Zach Vode. As far as insulting Riley's stature and decision making, that is not my place. He is a teenage student playing a game. I will not go down that road. Cano was left from consideration given the strength of schedule. The DAC and NCC prove to be the best we have to offer year in and year out. I believe they split their cross-conference games 4-4.