DAC power rankings and predictions

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
the dog

Re: DAC power rankings and predictions

Post by the dog »

Merrillville/Valpo and Lake Central/Chesterton seem to be the most interesting games this week. If Davis is out for Valpo, think Merrillville wins. The Merrillville defense is really good -- outside of the CP game, they've given up under a touchdown/game.

Have to see if LC has any hangover from their game against Michigan City last week. The Indians outplayed the Wolves for sixty minutes. Unfortunately it seems the refs felt they needed to outplay them for 60 minutes and 1 second.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

the dog wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:34 am
Merrillville/Valpo and Lake Central/Chesterton seem to be the most interesting games this week. If Davis is out for Valpo, think Merrillville wins. The Merrillville defense is really good -- outside of the CP game, they've given up under a touchdown/game.
Another way of putting this is “The only time Merrillville has played a halfway competent offense, they got torched for 39 points.”

An offense the Vikings’ defense just held to 19 points.

the dog

Post by the dog »

scarab527 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:51 am
the dog wrote:
Another way of putting this is “The only time Merrillville has played a halfway competent offense, they got torched for 39 points.”

And the Vikings defense gave up 38 to Penn. So I'd say that both defenses have had one bad game.

I'm not expecting a high scoring affair. In that case, I'd go with the team that isn't missing their most important offensive player. I like both teams and with Davis, I'd pick Valpo. Without, I'd pick Merrillville.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

the dog wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:07 am
scarab527 wrote:
the dog wrote:

And the Vikings defense gave up 38 to Penn. So I'd say that both defenses have had one bad game.

I'm not expecting a high scoring affair. In that case, I'd go with the team that isn't missing their most important offensive player. I like both teams and with Davis, I'd pick Valpo. Without, I'd pick Merrillville.
The “one bad game” argument loses a lot of its luster when the “one bad game” was against the only good offense you’ve played so far. That’s the point.

Merrillville’s offense this year so far has been terrible. Even without Davis, I don’t know how you can say Valpo doesn’t have the better offense.

I think it’ll be close, but I’d be surprised to see Merrillville win.

the dog

Post by the dog »

scarab527 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:18 am
the dog wrote:
scarab527 wrote:

The “one bad game” argument loses a lot of its luster when the “one bad game” was against the only good offense you’ve played so far. That’s the point.

Merrillville’s offense this year so far has been terrible. Even without Davis, I don’t know how you can say Valpo doesn’t have the better offense.

If you think it'll be close, then you shouldn't be surprised to see Merrillville win. The best team most certainly doesn't always win in a close game.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

the dog wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:29 am
scarab527 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:18 am
the dog wrote:

If you think it'll be close, then you shouldn't be surprised to see Merrillville win. The best team most certainly doesn't always win in a close game.
Sure I can; Merrillville defense likely will keep the Vikings from scoring too much (I don’t see them scoring more than 28), thereby keeping it close, but I don’t see the Merrillville offense ever threatening seriously. Unless they get some defensive/special teams touchdowns, I find it very hard to believe they’ll be able to score enough to win (don’t think they can get to 21) even if their defense keeps it close. I’d be very surprised if they proved me wrong, but it would be more interesting if they did.

CPbulldogs2024

Post by CPbulldogs2024 »

scarab527 wrote:
the dog wrote:

In the defense of merrillville. That week 3 game. We did smash them. But when you look at who played and who didn’t that game. That’s playing now. Parkhurst didn’t lie.

Before game. They were missing starting

Safety, 1 DB, 1DE, 1 WR, 3 OL

And during game… before end of 1st.. which was 6-0 btw..

They had a DB break his hand.

1DT left with a concussion (was taken to hospital during game)

QB was limping before game started.
Rb was also ginger.

Not saying that this makes a difference but this is the god honest truth. I hate admitting parkhurst is right but when they have them all
Out there on defense that defense looks unbeatable. Heck didn’t they just hold Laporte under 50 yards? And Valpo gave up almost 180… even though Valpo won by 10 more points? Or am I mistaken on this stat?

pvsharks

Post by pvsharks »

It is week seven, Most teams are dealing with missing starters due injuries and other issues. Playing in the DAC, NCC takes a toll on bodies and teams. Staying the course and building back-ups is the name of the game .

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

pvsharks wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:20 pm
It is week seven, Most teams are dealing with missing starters due injuries and other issues. Playing in the DAC, NCC takes a toll on bodies and teams. Staying the course and building back-ups is the name of the game .
I agree. Week 3 was early for a lot of injuries. But we lost none the less.

Now tomorrow this is gonna be an interesting game. Merrillville defense for the first Tami (baring any setback today) since week 1 will be fully healthy. And the offense has everyone except RG (if I’m not mistaken) now @scarb is correct our offense has looked horrible since week 3. Some can be due to injuries. Some can be due to the fact the team has a better QB on the bench and it’s not even close. But 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t choose who plays. But I 100% believe merrillville defense is head and shoulders above Valpos when both are healthy. Tomorrow will see the truth. Maybe I’m too blind to see it. But without Davis I think Valpo struggles to move ball and I’d even go as far to say as they will be under 150 yards for game. And potentially be 7 points or less on the board

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

DACfanatic wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:25 pm
pvsharks wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:20 pm
I agree. Week 3 was early for a lot of injuries. But we lost none the less.

Now tomorrow this is gonna be an interesting game. Merrillville defense for the first Tami (baring any setback today) since week 1 will be fully healthy. And the offense has everyone except RG (if I’m not mistaken) now @scarb is correct our offense has looked horrible since week 3. Some can be due to injuries. Some can be due to the fact the team has a better QB on the bench and it’s not even close. But 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t choose who plays. But I 100% believe merrillville defense is head and shoulders above Valpos when both are healthy. Tomorrow will see the truth. Maybe I’m too blind to see it. But without Davis I think Valpo struggles to move ball and I’d even go as far to say as they will be under 150 yards for game. And potentially be 7 points or less on the board
Still waiting for you to list those 16 D1 players Merrillville produced in the past three years.