NCC Championship??

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
willyfundude

NCC Championship??

Post by willyfundude »

Is the Hobart and Hanover Central game considered the championship of the NCC? I mean I know that Hobart plays Highland next week and Hanover plays Andrean, but I feel like this is the game that’ll come down to it.

Nutsy

Re: NCC Championship??

Post by Nutsy »

willyfundude wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:26 pm
Is the Hobart and Hanover Central game considered the championship of the NCC? I mean I know that Hobart plays Highland next week and Hanover plays Andrean, but I feel like this is the game that’ll come down to it.
The best record out of the Conference wins the Conference title. You are correct in that aspect... Hobart is slated to lose; however, don't count them out.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

willyfundude wrote:

Hanover wins by 17

the dog

Post by the dog »

willyfundude wrote:
If your question is if the winner of Hobart/Hanover Central automatically considered the NCC champion should the winner of the game somehow lose their following game -- should two teams finish in the NCC with the same record, there is no tiebreaking procedure. Head to head would not award a champion -- the two teams would be co-champions. But it would definitely seem that whoever wins the Hobart/HC tilt will be sole champion as it's not likely that the winner would then lose next week.

FWIW, in both 2021 and 2022, the NCC, Andrean, Hobart, and Lowell were all co-champions as each had one loss in conference (in each year, Hobart lost to Andrean, Andrean lost to Lowell, and Lowell lost to Hobart).

Hanovergrad2019

Post by Hanovergrad2019 »

willyfundude wrote:
Hanover wins 35-10

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

the dog wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:26 am
willyfundude wrote:
If your question is if the winner of Hobart/Hanover Central automatically considered the NCC champion should the winner of the game somehow lose their following game -- should two teams finish in the NCC with the same record, there is no tiebreaking procedure. Head to head would not award a champion -- the two teams would be co-champions. But it would definitely seem that whoever wins the Hobart/HC tilt will be sole champion as it's not likely that the winner would then lose next week.

FWIW, in both 2021 and 2022, the NCC, Andrean, Hobart, and Lowell were all co-champions as each had one loss in conference (in each year, Hobart lost to Andrean, Andrean lost to Lowell, and Lowell lost to Hobart).
Tri-Champions.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

the dog

Post by the dog »

Game ended up living up to the billing. Momentum swings back and forth. Hobart scored on the opening drive but most of the rest of the first half was HC. Late 40 yard field goal by Hobart did bring it into a one score game half at HC 17, Hobart 10.

HC looked like they might run away with the game when they scored in just three plays to open the second half but the Brickies answered right back with a touchdown of their own to pull within 7 at 24-17.

HC again scored on their next possession to go up 31-17; Hobart drove back into the red zone but the drive ended in interception. Brickies defense would respond and hold HC to just 60 yards over the last 16 minutes and Hobart had a late drive inside the 15 that ended on in a turnover on downs when the Brickies were down 7 at 31-24. HC almost made an extremely costly error on third down as they were trying to run the clock out when the ball was knocked loose, but HC was able to recover the ball. The Wildcats took a safety rather than risk a potential punt block to put the score at 31-26 with 3 seconds left. Hobart fell on the free kick to try for one last deep heave, but that pass fell incomplete.

Congrats to the Wildcats in their opening NCC season. Both teams will come out of the game learning a lot -- great game for playoff preparation. The assumption is that the winner of New Prairie/Hobart game will win the sectional and the winner of HC/West Lafayette will win sectional 25.