State Predictions

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
scarab527

Re: State Predictions

Post by scarab527 »

VPISU wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:54 am
scarab527 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:13 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:25 am
Come on man it is ok to admit you were wrong.

They are in state title game. They are serious contenders no matter what happens now
I admit I was wrong because I didn’t think they could even get this far. But nah, serious contender means being able to actually win the whole thing. If they play with BD late into the game and keep it close I’ll admit I was wrong. But realistically there’s 4 teams that are serious contenders for 6A, and they’re all in the South.
So... here we go playing word games... let me break it down for you: Contender -a person or a group competing with others to achieve something Snowball's chance in hell? yes, Serious contender... how much more serious does it get than the state championship game? Next question how come none of the other southern teams made it to the big dance if they were such serious contenders?
Because the tournament isn’t seeded and 6A South is a lot better than 6A North? Pretty obvious answer there lol.

There’s a reason BD won 3 games by a FG each to get to LOS and then won in blowout fashion last night. They had played the real state championship already.

cridge

Post by cridge »

VPISU wrote:
scarab527 wrote:
BallinFreak wrote:

They are in state title game. They are serious contenders no matter what happens now
I admit I was wrong because I didn’t think they could even get this far. But nah, serious contender means being able to actually win the whole thing. If they play with BD late into the game and keep it close I’ll admit I was wrong. But realistically there’s 4 teams that are serious contenders for 6A, and they’re all in the South.
So... here we go playing word games... let me break it down for you: Contender -a person or a group competing with others to achieve something Snowball's chance in hell? yes, Serious contender... how much more serious does it get than the state championship game? Next question how come none of the other southern teams made it to the big dance if they were such serious contenders?
Because they lost to the other serious contenders

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

Good logic Cridge.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

scarab527 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:47 pm
VPISU wrote:
scarab527 wrote:

Because the tournament isn’t seeded and 6A South is a lot better than 6A North? Pretty obvious answer there lol.

There’s a reason BD won 3 games by a FG each to get to LOS and then won in blowout fashion last night. They had played the real state championship already.
I hate to bring up comparative scores and I'm sure Westfield fans would tell you it was a fluke, but it's hard to ignore that Westfield's lone loss coming into Crown Point was by 30 points to a Brownsburg team that completely choked away that Sectional opener against Ben Davis. IMO, Ben Davis, Center Grove and Brownsburg had far superior talent to anyone they played. Cathedral was up there as well. There was a massive talent disparity between Ben Davis and Crown Point at the skill positions. Ellison looked like a turtle compared to BD's RB. Mark Zachary is only a Junior but can already pick his choice of Top 10 College team to play for as a DB. And then BD still had other threats at WR. #5 for CP put up a one hellavu fight though on offense and defense. I don't recall Delich doing much offensively or defensively outside of a few catched on the sideline.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

VPISU wrote:
scarab527 wrote:
BallinFreak wrote:

Next question how come none of the other southern teams made it to the big dance if they were such serious contenders?
They all played each other in a 3 point game...
Ben Davis vs Brownsburg 28-25
Ben Davis vs Cathedral 27-24
Ben Davis vs Center Grove 34-31

That's why they did not make it to the big dance. If any of those teams is in Sectional 4 instead of 5-8, I think we can all agree (I hope) that they would have been the Northern representative which would prove scarab's point. Crown Point exceeded expectations, no doubt about it, but serious contender is a whole other conversation.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

Boilernation wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:56 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:47 pm
VPISU wrote:

IMO, Ben Davis, Center Grove and Brownsburg had far superior talent to anyone they played. Cathedral was up there as well. There was a massive talent disparity between Ben Davis and Crown Point at the skill positions. Mark Zachary is only a Junior but can already pick his choice of Top 10 College team to play for as a DB. And then BD still had other threats at WR. #5 for CP put up a one hellavu fight though on offense and defense. I don't recall Delich doing much offensively or defensively outside of a few catched on the sideline.
Ben Davis, Center Grove, Brownsburg, and Catherdral's (as well as other Indy schools) Jimmy's and Joe's are (RIGHT NOW, and for the better part of history) superior to those of Crown Point, Valparaiso, Michigan City, and Merrillville. I think the 'Dogs have the recipe to develop athletes to one day in the near future compete at that level consistently. Valpo and Merrillville seem to have the ability to as well based on their histories of tremendous athletes and the development of them. Kudos to Crown Point on exceeding expectations and having an incredible year for themselves and 6A Northern football. I hope to see the region continue to get to that point and hopefully soon, earn the ultimate prize.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:15 pm
VPISU wrote:
scarab527 wrote:

Next question how come none of the other southern teams made it to the big dance if they were such serious contenders?

That's why they did not make it to the big dance. If any of those teams is in Sectional 4 instead of 5-8, I think we can all agree (I hope) that they would have been the Northern representative which would prove scarab's point. Crown Point exceeded expectations, no doubt about it, but serious contender is a whole other conversation.
100% agree. I'm looking forward to seeing if this was Crown Point's peak or if they can build on this run and get better. Obviously, the clock is ticking on Buzea retiring again at some point. I would assume his replacement is already on the staff.

The one consistant knock on CP that MIA Cody was right about is they have no athletes. They need some legit speed on that team. Center Grove has the same demographics as CP, but they had some skill players that could toast the Ben Davis secondary/LB'ers. Crown Point would have had 2 different plays go for TD's if the ball carrier wasn't chased down by the BD secondary. Those were TD's for Brownsburg and Center Grove.

I'm also hoping this run by Crown Point has raised some heads in St. John. The Blue Indians have been asleep at the wheel for far too long.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

Boilernation wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:41 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:15 pm
VPISU wrote:

100% agree. I'm looking forward to seeing if this was Crown Point's peak or if they can build on this run and get better. Obviously, the clock is ticking on Buzea retiring again at some point. I would assume his replacement is already on the staff.

The one consistant knock on CP that MIA Cody was right about is they have no athletes. They need some legit speed on that team. Center Grove has the same demographics as CP, but they had some skill players that could toast the Ben Davis secondary/LB'ers. Crown Point would have had 2 different plays go for TD's if the ball carrier wasn't chased down by the BD secondary. Those were TD's for Brownsburg and Center Grove.

I'm also hoping this run by Crown Point has raised some heads in St. John. The Blue Indians have been asleep at the wheel for far too long.
Totally agree on all fronts. If this didn't raise some heads in the Tri-Town and Portage communities, it'll be late-October or early November exits from the post season for the foreseeable future for the Red and Blue Indians. Aside from the skill discrepancies, it still appeared to me that CP was outmatched up front as well (a HUGE CP strength) and Center Grove looked to be equally as large as Ben Davis when I watched their game last week. I hope the Crown Point run raises the bar for Big School Region football and that this isn't the peak.