State Predictions

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Dann Ellenwood

Re: State Predictions

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

VikingNation wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:17 pm
Dann Ellenwood wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:56 pm
If Hanover wins their Sectional, wouldn't they likely face an undefeated team in Regionals, that is lead by one of the winningest high school football coaches in the history of our state?
You are correct, Do you think Knox has the athletes though to shut down Hanover's no huddle spread attack? Hanover runs essentially a 5-2 on defense which for shutting down the run so I think it would be a good matchup but Hanover may have too much speed for them.
I do not have any idea. I have not seen either team play this year.

NWI10

Post by NWI10 »

If Crown Point does not win the sectional does this "Buz Era" start being considered a failure in regards to on-field success?

Does the weak DAC and non-conference schedule come back and bite them?

warrior

Post by warrior »

How does CP not win that Sectional??? Honestly, anything less than a Regional title has to be a disappointment. Penn awaits and Sagarin has them within 3 points of each other. Home field and playoff pressure could be the deciding factor(s).

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

warrior wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:01 pm
How does CP not win that Sectional??? Honestly, anything less than a Regional title has to be a disappointment. Penn awaits and Sagarin has them within 3 points of each other. Home field and playoff pressure could be the deciding factor(s).
Sectional 2 is TOUGH.
Penn 6-1
Warsaw 6-1
Carroll (FW) 5-2
Elkhart 3-4

NWI10

Post by NWI10 »

warrior wrote:
I agree- the perception will be that CP feasts on a weak schedule and is built on hype and cute gimmicks.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

If CP lost in Sectionals than I guess you could start to say the Buz era is a failure but realistically they're 21 points better than any other team in their Sectional so they'll likely be fine.

Regionals is where I think they'll have some trouble. Penn and especially FW Carroll have played some pretty good teams. The DAC really only has two other good teams in Valpo/Ville this year, which is out of their control, but CP's out of conference scheduling leaves a lot to be desired. I get that both of those games were played for good reasons (historic rivalry/cancer awareness), but the unfortunate truth is if you want to rumble with the big boys in 6A you have to prepare yourself with the best competition. They'd be much better served playing Penn, FW Snider/Carroll, or ideally a 6A Indy team or 7A/8A team from the Chicago suburbs.

I've gotten to watch their games against Merrillville, Valpo, Portage, and LC. What I've noticed is that CP doesn't run away with the game to start, but instead wears teams down with their superior size and depth. Their defense is very good against the run, but they haven't played a team that can competently throw the football yet, and making teams respect the pass generally makes their run defense weaker. Penn and Carroll have the depth, size, and balance to give CP trouble. And if they do get through the Regional, whoever comes out of North Indy will have even more size, depth, and balance.

Buz has taken CP from mediocre to undoubtedly the best in the Region within 3 years, that's not a failure no matter how you slice it. Going far in 6A is very hard and any 6A team not from Indy winning state at this point looks like a pipe dream.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

warrior wrote:
Penn isn't beating Fort Wayne Carroll.

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

Boilernation wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:50 pm
warrior wrote:
I am not saying you are right or wrong, but it seems like a lot of people are handing Penn the Sectional 2 Title already.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

scarab527 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:53 pm
If CP lost in Sectionals than I guess you could start to say the Buz era is a failure but realistically they're 21 points better than any other team in their Sectional so they'll likely be fine.

Regionals is where I think they'll have some trouble. Penn and especially FW Carroll have played some pretty good teams. The DAC really only has two other good teams in Valpo/Ville this year, which is out of their control, but CP's out of conference scheduling leaves a lot to be desired. I get that both of those games were played for good reasons (historic rivalry/cancer awareness), but the unfortunate truth is if you want to rumble with the big boys in 6A you have to prepare yourself with the best competition. They'd be much better served playing Penn, FW Snider/Carroll, or ideally a 6A Indy team or 7A/8A team from the Chicago suburbs.

I've gotten to watch their games against Merrillville, Valpo, Portage, and LC. What I've noticed is that CP doesn't run away with the game to start, but instead wears teams down with their superior size and depth. Their defense is very good against the run, but they haven't played a team that can competently throw the football yet, and making teams respect the pass generally makes their run defense weaker. Penn and Carroll have the depth, size, and balance to give CP trouble. And if they do get through the Regional, whoever comes out of North Indy will have even more size, depth, and balance.

Buz has taken CP from mediocre to undoubtedly the best in the Region within 3 years, that's not a failure no matter how you slice it. Going far in 6A is very hard and any 6A team not from Indy winning state at this point looks like a pipe dream.
Excellent post. As you're aware, I live in Hoosier Crossroads Country and attend a game each Friday night along with streaming the other good matchups. The advantages Crown Point has over the rest of the Region (enrollment, socioeconomics, coaching, talent) end once they see Penn, FW Carroll, Carmel, or a Hoosier Crossroads Conference team. I'm expecting a Crown Point vs. Fort Wayne Carroll Regional matchup. I think Crown Point can compete with them, but I would surprised if they won. No knock on Buz at all. Playing Lowell, Taft and the DAC just doesn't prepare the 'Dogs for what they'll get from Carroll. On the flipside, Carroll went agressive in OOC scheduling and picked up Hamilton Southeastern and Warren Central. Get by Carroll and it's a whole different world if they see Carmel or a Hoosier Crossroads Conference team. Hamilton Southeastern is likely the best 6A North team I've seen this year and they have some dudes. A 6'6 LT going to Notre Dame who opens up a lot of room for their RB. A 6'5 TE going to BAll State and a 6'4 WR with about 10 D1 offers. Their RT is a 6'5 Junior with P5 offersn. I think he's the son of Brandon Gorin (Muncie South, Purdue, New Englnad Patriots) Their offense is very, very good.They also have a Junior at DB who has offers from all over the SEC and Big Ten.
Last edited by Boilernation on Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

Dann Ellenwood wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:53 pm
Boilernation wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:50 pm
warrior wrote:
I am not saying you are right or wrong, but it seems like a lot of people are handing Penn the Sectional 2 Title already.
That's absurd. I could be wrong. We're talking abot HS kids afterall. But, Carroll beat Penn 35-7 last year. They gave Hamilton Southeaster a good game in Week 1, beat Warren Central, and lost to Snider in a close one that was pretty much decided by 2 stupid pick sixes to Snider's phenomenal Safety in the final minute of the 1st half. Penn has done nothing to be considered the favorite over Carroll. Cathedral thoroughly dominated Penn. They couldn't have done that to Carroll.