Morton at Hobart

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
DACfanatic

Re: Morton at Hobart

Post by DACfanatic »

Nutsy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:33 pm
Hobart loses a close one. The Mojo is gone.

Nut
Hobart dominated!

the dog

Post by the dog »

RAZORBACK wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:01 am
the dog wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:38 pm
Nutsy wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:08 pm

That's what they said a few years back...

Nut
That would have at least been nine years ago....and when Roy Richards was there. Morton has had three coaches since then and has lost three games to Hobart since then by average score of 35-19, including a 42-21 loss in the playoffs when Morton was 9-1.

Is Morton capable of beating Hobart? Yes. But Hobart is definitely the favorite here. I don't think Morton's schedule has done them any favors in the past four weeks -- at Penn in a game they had no chance (35-0 Penn at half and then Penn called the dogs off), 46-6 win over a really weak Calumet team, an open week when they were supposed to play Bowman, and a 56-3 win over a Hammond Central team that really wasn't very good (despite of what people thought early -- this is a team that went OT with Highland, lost to a single A school that while a decent program, is down by their own standards this year, and then lost a game to a winless California team that traveled 2000 to play them) -- AND had a lot of players suspended when they played Morton last week.

I expect there to be a decent number of points scored but from games I've seen from both, I would expect that Morton is more likely than Hobart to get in their own with drive killing penalties or turnovers.

FWIW, Sagarin puts Hobart as a 5 to 6 point favorite at home against Morton.

Which games of Morton have you watched? I have seen them play Hanover, Elkhart, and Hammond Central. I noticed #6 for Morton did not play against Hanover or Elkhart. I noticed he was playing with a club on his hand for a couple games. The Hanover game looked closer than what the score said and the Elkhart game was a shootout.

What happened to Hammond Central? Do you know which players were suspended for that Morton game?
FWIW, from watching the game #6 (Freddie Brown) looks to be Morton's best defensive player. Probably had close to 20 tackles in the game. Part of that was because Hobart had an eye popping 90 plays on offense. The Morton defense is simply not very good. Offensively they get a good run push from their line and Dontrell Harris is a really nice back, but their passing game is literally to send guys on fly patterns and throw it deep. The only throws underneath seem to come when a play breaks down and their quarterback has to scramble and looks to dump it off. Against Hanover Central they were 7 for 27 in the air (for 205 yards) and against Hobart they were 4 of 17 (for 72 yards). I saw the film to the Elkhart game (and Elkhart is decent) and Morton probably should have won that game (it was a 48-38 Elkhart win but Elkhart had a pick 6 to end the game when Morton was in the red zone).

It was a very strange game. In the first quarter, everything that could go wrong for Hobart did and Morton was up 20-3 at the end of the quarter. The rest of the way, Hobart outscored Morton 62-18 and simply could do whatever they wanted to offensively.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

If you allow your opponent to score almost 40 pts in a game, you did not dominate.

the dog

Post by the dog »

BallinFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:28 am
If you allow your opponent to score almost 40 pts in a game, you did not dominate.
Doesn't really matter what you call it. Morton got off to a fast start with a long kick return and a scoop and score in the first quarter. After being up 20-3 in the first quarter, they were absolutely demolished in the last three quarters.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

the dog wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:35 am
BallinFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:28 am
Doesn't really matter what you call it. Morton got off to a fast start with a long kick return and a scoop and score in the first quarter. After being up 20-3 in the first quarter, they were absolutely demolished in the last three quarters.
Adjustments.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393