Sectional Draw

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
the dog

Re: Sectional Draw

Post by the dog »

Boilernation wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:17 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:33 am
Chatard is running away with that Sectional. Only reason Guerin game was close was because their QB went down early. They’re rolling now.
Yep. 3 different predominantly rural public school districts having phenomenal years are about to get completely derailed by the Chatard or Guerin. For some reason I have a feeling Peru can give Guerin a game. Chatard on the other hand, will likely route TV and Hamilton Heights. My wife is a Hamilton Heights grad and I'm very familiar with the community. They have some big and strong farm kids who can play football. But, the overall numbers and depth to compete against the likes of Chatard is non-existant. Going out on a limb to say it's the same for Peru and TV.
That's the most likely result -- Chatard wins the sectional. Even by Chatard standards, this is a good Chatard team. In the end, the SOS for Chatard and Guernin Catholic is just so much better than the three other 9-0 teams. Chatard's is 66, Guernin Catholic 67, TV 140, Peru 172, and Hamilton Heights 253. Sagarin says the average Chatard opponent was 33 points better than the average Hamilton Heights opponent -- in comparison, the average Chatard opponent is Chesterton, the average Hamilton Heights opponent is HIghland.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

A TD in the closing minute of garbage time kept TV from losing by 40+ to Chatard. Just brutal.

What happened at the end of the Andrean game? The LaVille feed has no announcers. Refs seemed completely confused. LaVille fans weren’t having it. A lot of experts on officiating and clock management were screaming from the stands for the officials to get control of the game. I’m lost. Looked like LaVille was just trying to burn the clock out in victory formations.

Is HC a paper Tiger or the only legitimate team in a conference that had a lousy year? Yikes. I figured Hobart/NP would go down to the wire. And I did not having Lowell losing to CA or Andrean losing to LaVille.

the dog

Post by the dog »

Boilernation wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:43 am
A TD in the closing minute of garbage time kept TV from losing by 40+ to Chatard. Just brutal.

What happened at the end of the Andrean game? The LaVille feed has no announcers. Refs seemed completely confused. LaVille fans weren’t having it. A lot of experts on officiating and clock management were screaming from the stands for the officials to get control of the game. I’m lost. Looked like LaVille was just trying to burn the clock out in victory formations.

Is HC a paper Tiger or the only legitimate team in a conference that had a lousy year? Yikes. I figured Hobart/NP would go down to the wire. And I did not having Lowell losing to CA or Andrean losing to LaVille.
I will say that teams with good passing games sometimes find some troubles as the playoffs go on and they find themselves in unfavorable conditions to pass. That said, Hanover Central's passing game is filled with short passes -- many of which are getting to their receivers and backs behind the LOS in motion. That likely will translate in the playoffs.

I wouldn't call HC a paper tiger -- I do think in a normal NCC season with decent Hobart, Lowell, and Andrean teams they would be competing for the title. Might not have won it, but certainly would have competed. I will say after seeing the rest of the NCC team results in the first round of sectional play, it now would not surprise me to see Hanover Central not get out of sectional. They will likely play West Lafayette in the sectional final. At first glance it definitely looks like West Lafayette is a little down by their standards -- but their three losses are to 9-1 Harrison, 9-1 Tippecanoe Valley, and 10-0 Hamilton Heights. And if HC plays West Lafayette in the sectional final, it will be at West Lafayette.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

BallinFreak wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:10 pm
I would say that is a very realistic outcome.
Agree.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

Sectional results just confirmed my take all year that Region football is not good this season.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

scarab527 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 am
Sectional results just confirmed my take all year that Region football is not good this season.
Yeah sadly this is true.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

scarab527 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 am
The true tale will be told when the 5 and 6A's begin Sectional play... how many will make it past Regional much less the Semi-State?

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Hanover Central is a good football team. Outstanding qb and rb. Receivers are solid. Their offensive line and defense is are question marks for me. They will win sectional but it ends at regional when competition will step up.

the dog

Post by the dog »

nwifbfan wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:26 pm
Hanover Central is a good football team. Outstanding qb and rb. Receivers are solid. Their offensive line and defense is are question marks for me. They will win sectional but it ends at regional when competition will step up.
I thought they were a slam dunk to win sectionals until I saw what NCC teams did in the sectional openers. West Lafayette is 7-3 but the teams they lost to are 27-2.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

nwifbfan wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:26 pm
I should qualify what I said: Region football as a whole is not good this year. There’s 4 teams (CP, Valpo, Merrillville, and Hanover) that are good.

I think Hanover makes it to semi-state where they will get crushed by the Chatard juggernaut. If you’re talking about competition stepping up in Regionals, Knox (the team Hanover will probably play) has played mostly 1A and 2A schools. Even if the NCC was way down this year, playing 4A and 5A schools is much better preparation for postseason success.