Sectional Draw

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Boilernation

Re: Sectional Draw

Post by Boilernation »

Nutsy wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:19 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 am
Sectional results just confirmed my take all year that Region football is not good this season.
The true tale will be told when the 5 and 6A's begin Sectional play... how many will make it past Regional much less the Semi-State?

Nut
At this point we're pretty much guaranteed to have 1 make it out of Regionals with Valpo or Merrillville. I would take HC as well if they can get by West Lafayette. As scarab mentioned, Knox has predominantly been playing 1 and 2A schools. Besides, I really wouldn't be surprised if West Noble takes down Radtke this weekend.

I think Valpo is realistically the only team with a chance of getting past Semi-State. They can beat Snider or Mishawaka. I have Crown Point losing in Regionals to Fort Wayne Carroll.
Last edited by Boilernation on Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

the dog wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:53 am
I will say that teams with good passing games sometimes find some troubles as the playoffs go on and they find themselves in unfavorable conditions to pass. That said, Hanover Central's passing game is filled with short passes -- many of which are getting to their receivers and backs behind the LOS in motion. That likely will translate in the playoffs.

I wouldn't call HC a paper tiger -- I do think in a normal NCC season with decent Hobart, Lowell, and Andrean teams they would be competing for the title. Might not have won it, but certainly would have competed. I will say after seeing the rest of the NCC team results in the first round of sectional play, it now would not surprise me to see Hanover Central not get out of sectional. They will likely play West Lafayette in the sectional final. At first glance it definitely looks like West Lafayette is a little down by their standards -- but their three losses are to 9-1 Harrison, 9-1 Tippecanoe Valley, and 10-0 Hamilton Heights. And if HC plays West Lafayette in the sectional final, it will be at West Lafayette.
[/quote]

Having a passing game will definately help if the conditions are right. I'm not sure if West Lafayette is still playing on grass. Chatard used to play on grass at Broad Ripple but now has a turf field on campus. HC has turf, right? It'll take throwing the ball to beat Chatard unless you have solid OL play. Their front 7 on D is just too good for most 3A O-Lines. I watched the first half of the TV/Chatard game in hopes of seeing an upset, but TV just brought the Wing T at Chatard. The Trojans will shut that down all night against an inferior OL.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

The good old Wing T... amazing how this offense is still successful.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

scarab527 wrote:
Sectional results just confirmed my take all year that Region football is not good this season.
Yes, down year but a lot of teams this year were young and bring back good experience. Especially for Griffith and Andrean.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

VikingNation wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:17 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Yes, down year but a lot of teams this year were young and bring back good experience. Especially for Griffith and Andrean.
Jury is still out on whether Griffith football can actually be brought back from the dead.

The Andrean Football program is currently softer than charmin and the only hope for them winning big games is to be bailed out by elite talent. So for their sake, I hope they do have a lot coming back.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

The Andrean Football program is currently softer than charmin and the only hope for them winning big games is to be bailed out by elite talent. So for their sake, I hope they do have a lot coming back.
I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Uncharacteristically soft both physically but even more stunning mentally. Lack of leadership from upper classmen. Last years senior class were the leaders as juniors and seniors and it wasn’t just from Bowen. There were quite a few of them that led. This years class never had to lead ans juniors and thus didn’t know how to or it was not in their dna.

Having said all of that, there were quite a few freshmen and sophomores that started and/or had significant playing time which bodes well for the future. They also have a couple talented juniors like Finley and Holmes. They need to find a qb and need to improve both offensive and defensive line play schematically and physically.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

nwifbfan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:02 pm
I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Uncharacteristically soft both physically but even more stunning mentally. Lack of leadership from upper classmen. Last years senior class were the leaders as juniors and seniors and it wasn’t just from Bowen. There were quite a few of them that led. This years class never had to lead ans juniors and thus didn’t know how to or it was not in their dna.

Having said all of that, there were quite a few freshmen and sophomores that started and/or had significant playing time which bodes well for the future. They also have a couple talented juniors like Finley and Holmes. They need to find a qb and need to improve both offensive and defensive line play schematically and physically.
The offensive line play has been atrocious for almost all of Skinner’s tenure. The fact they haven’t addressed that yet is ridiculous.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

I think they are in their 3rd or fourth different line coach in his time there. Is finding quality offensive line coaches that hard? Must be.

I believe it’s a combination of coaching technique, offensive scheme, talent and mindset. Also contributing this year was a complete lack of an even average running back. There was no talent in that backfield.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

nwifbfan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:06 pm
I think they are in their 3rd or fourth different line coach in his time there. Is finding quality offensive line coaches that hard? Must be.

I believe it’s a combination of coaching technique, offensive scheme, talent and mindset. Also contributing this year was a complete lack of an even average running back. There was no talent in that backfield.
Jay Novak was OL coach for a few years before going to CCSJ and I’ve got a lot of respect for him. During his tenure the OL was undoubtedly the best it was during the Skinner era, but still it was mediocre at best at times. These past two seasons have been tough to watch in terms of OL play (sorry, but I have to call it like I see it).

Definitely think scheme plays a part in it. Would love to see them scrap the gap schemes and move towards zone runs. Also think they just don’t have the depth in terms of big kids like they used to.

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

nwifbfan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:06 pm

Just checked Maxpreps because I was curious about the run production and they had 1000 or more yards almost every year Skinner has coached on the ground.

I just think at the end of the day it just was going to be a tough year no matter what for them with the youth and inexperience after losing 20 plus seniors including Mr. Football. Hell we were really bad after we lost Jeff Samardzija and his grade at VHS back in the day for years.

Couldnt believe they were on our schedule to be honest and couple that with Merrillville and Bishop Chatard, those are 3 losses even for their last 2 teams who went to state.

I agree the product wasnt great on Fridays but with the amount they have coming back maybe things change for the better.