Sectional Draw

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
VikingNation

Re: Sectional Draw

Post by VikingNation »

scarab527 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:57 pm
nwifbfan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:06 pm
I think they are in their 3rd or fourth different line coach in his time there. Is finding quality offensive line coaches that hard? Must be.

I believe it’s a combination of coaching technique, offensive scheme, talent and mindset. Also contributing this year was a complete lack of an even average running back. There was no talent in that backfield.
Jay Novak was OL coach for a few years before going to CCSJ and I’ve got a lot of respect for him. During his tenure the OL was undoubtedly the best it was during the Skinner era, but still it was mediocre at best at times. These past two seasons have been tough to watch in terms of OL play (sorry, but I have to call it like I see it).

Definitely think scheme plays a part in it. Would love to see them scrap the gap schemes and move towards zone runs. Also think they just don’t have the depth in terms of big kids like they used to.
We run primarily zone and zone variations but we also have the horses to get vertical movement. If they dont have the depth in big kids, why would you want to run zone?

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Yes, they have been more balanced run pass with good rb’s like Bowen the last 2 years. Walsh the 2-3 seasons before Bowen. This year was just a combination of inexperience and lack of talent at both oline and running back.

Lack of size arguably could be factor but having said that they had a 6’7” 315# sophomore who is athletic and a 6’6” 365# senior on line and couldn’t consistently open holes. When there were holes, running back missed.

Regarding Scarab comment on do more zone reads scheme. I believe that is what they have been running the last 4-5 seasons both inside zone and outside zone plays.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

The offensive talent on this team was clearly at QB and WR , thus the offensive game plan week in and week out was focused on passing game. It’s no surprise that Skinner’s philosophy has been put his athletes in space and make plays. Bubbles are a big part of his attack and has been successful. This year it wasn’t because WR although good at catching were pathetic at blocking on bubbles and edge mainly because of their lack of size. Missing Clacks showed up in blocking as much as play making ability.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

VikingNation wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:06 pm
scarab527 wrote:
nwifbfan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:06 pm
I think they are in their 3rd or fourth different line coach in his time there. Is finding quality offensive line coaches that hard? Must be.

I believe it’s a combination of coaching technique, offensive scheme, talent and mindset. Also contributing this year was a complete lack of an even average running back. There was no talent in that backfield.
Jay Novak was OL coach for a few years before going to CCSJ and I’ve got a lot of respect for him. During his tenure the OL was undoubtedly the best it was during the Skinner era, but still it was mediocre at best at times. These past two seasons have been tough to watch in terms of OL play (sorry, but I have to call it like I see it).

Definitely think scheme plays a part in it. Would love to see them scrap the gap schemes and move towards zone runs. Also think they just don’t have the depth in terms of big kids like they used to.
We run primarily zone and zone variations but we also have the horses to get vertical movement. If they dont have the depth in big kids, why would you want to run zone?
Zone runs were created at the NFL level to take advantage of smaller, faster lineman. Can’t speak for how Valpo coaches it, but most zone schemes aim for horizontal movement, rather than vertical movement.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

nwifbfan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:13 pm
Yes, they have been more balanced run pass with good rb’s like Bowen the last 2 years. Walsh the 2-3 seasons before Bowen. This year was just a combination of inexperience and lack of talent at both oline and running back.

Lack of size arguably could be factor but having said that they had a 6’7” 315# sophomore who is athletic and a 6’6” 365# senior on line and couldn’t consistently open holes. When there were holes, running back missed.

Regarding Scarab comment on do more zone reads scheme. I believe that is what they have been running the last 4-5 seasons both inside zone and outside zone plays.
I’ve seen them run a lot of counter really poorly the past few years. Seems like they live in that much more than any zone read.

Even the past few years look at how their run game has faired against good, physical teams. They never run the ball well against Hobart. Lowell had humiliated them in the trenches 3 years running. Eastbrook plugged them up in 2019. Pioneer completely shut down their running game in the 2020 regional. The defense won them 2021. And last year MD put a stop to all that by beating them up on the line of scrimmage.

All those yards don’t matter when you’re running them up against bad teams. You could say the same thing about their passing yards too. The truth of the matter is this team’s offense has not been good against good teams the past few seasons.

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

scarab527 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:45 pm
VikingNation wrote:
scarab527 wrote:

Zone runs were created at the NFL level to take advantage of smaller, faster lineman. Can’t speak for how Valpo coaches it, but most zone schemes aim for horizontal movement, rather than vertical movement.
Running Inside Zone blocking scheme is where each lineman is responsible for blocking their playside gap and getting vertical movement on the defender in that gap. NFL runs a lot of DUO which is where linemen are doubling teaming first level defenders and putting them in the lap of the linebackers so RBs can make a read off flow.

Running Outside Zone or Wide Zone you move horizontal but your tackles are going to have to work to second level defenders eventually for the RB to get a read.

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

scarab527 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:50 pm
nwifbfan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:13 pm

I’ve seen them run a lot of counter really poorly the past few years. Seems like they live in that much more than any zone read.

Even the past few years look at how their run game has faired against good, physical teams. They never run the ball well against Hobart. Lowell had humiliated them in the trenches 3 years running. Eastbrook plugged them up in 2019. Pioneer completely shut down their running game in the 2020 regional. The defense won them 2021. And last year MD put a stop to all that by beating them up on the line of scrimmage.

All those yards don’t matter when you’re running them up against bad teams. You could say the same thing about their passing yards too. The truth of the matter is this team’s offense has not been good against good teams the past few seasons.
Sounds like you should email Skinner and tell him you want to be their OC

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

VikingNation wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:57 pm
scarab527 wrote:
VikingNation wrote:

Running Inside Zone blocking scheme is where each lineman is responsible for blocking their playside gap and getting vertical movement on the defender in that gap. NFL runs a lot of DUO which is where linemen are doubling teaming first level defenders and putting them in the lap of the linebackers so RBs can make a read off flow.

Running Outside Zone or Wide Zone you move horizontal but your tackles are going to have to work to second level defenders eventually for the RB to get a read.
Yeah, I’m not talking about inside zone at the pro level. And I know what duo is. Again, don’t know how Valpo coaches it, but a lot of teams coach inside zone as a horizontal movement play. One of them being Coach Ralph down at New Pal, whose teams are the best inside zone teams in the state by a country mile.

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

scarab527 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:15 pm
VikingNation wrote:
scarab527 wrote:

Yeah, I’m not talking about inside zone at the pro level. And I know what duo is. Again, don’t know how Valpo coaches it, but a lot of teams coach inside zone as a horizontal movement play. One of them being Coach Ralph down at New Pal, whose teams are the best inside zone teams in the state by a country mile.
Like I dont know about New Pal from 2019, how dare you LOL

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

VikingNation wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:20 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:15 pm
VikingNation wrote:

Like I dont know about New Pal from 2019, how dare you LOL
Lol I’m sorry I had to go there. Teams teach different schemes depending on personnel. Valpo’s OL is generally so much bigger that aiming for vertical movement even on zone runs makes sense. For teams without that size advantage, I’d suggest not teaching it that way. Obviously what you guys do works for you.