Wearing of Knee Pads

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Nutsy

Wearing of Knee Pads

Post by Nutsy »

I know this will set off a firestorm so here we go. Some football athletes are intent on not following the current NFHS rule for covering the knees. Every Friday night they roll out with no knee pads or have them rolled up. Cool to look like your NCAA and NFL counterparts? Don't gripe when you get the flag for not following rules. There are pros and cons for the wearing of the pads. I'm sure a few of you have a study tucked away in your hip pocket that says the pads are not necessary. Even though, rules are rules.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

the dog

Re: Wearing of Knee Pads

Post by the dog »

Nutsy wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:53 pm
I know this will set off a firestorm so here we go. Some football athletes are intent on not following the current NFHS rule for covering the knees. Every Friday night they roll out with no knee pads or have them rolled up. Cool to look like your NCAA and NFL counterparts? Don't gripe when you get the flag for not following rules. There are pros and cons for the wearing of the pads. I'm sure a few of you have a study tucked away in your hip pocket that says the pads are not necessary. Even though, rules are rules.

Nut
You are correct in that there are quite a few players who have their knee pads above their knees. However, I don't think that are necessarily doing it for looks -- rather I think they feel they can move faster without the covering. In terms of getting a flag, I've yet to see any player get flagged for in at any game in the past few years. Rather, they are sent off the field for a play for an equipment violation. But agree that they know the rule and even if the punishment is missing a play, they are hurting the team.

snrmike

Post by snrmike »

By rule, referees just send off the offending player for one play, or until that player is properly equipped.
It's the same if a player has his mouthpiece jammed into the side of his helmet rather than in his mouth. Send player off for one play - or until they are properly wearing their equipment.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

So if they go off and come back is there a flag on the second violation when a player does nothing to correct the situation? How about a refusal to correct the equipment violation?

Nut
Wheeler, IN . 46393

the dog

Post by the dog »

Nutsy wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:12 pm
So if they go off and come back is there a flag on the second violation when a player does nothing to correct the situation? How about a refusal to correct the equipment violation?

Nut
I don't know if it gets flagged, but if a player is spotted with an equipment violation they are going to keep getting sent off the field. My assumption is that if it becomes a multiple time issue, the referees would likely call a delay of game penalty on the team.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

Fair enough.

Nut
Wheeler, IN . 46393

snrmike

Post by snrmike »

Nutsy wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:12 pm

Nut
The key here is - until that "player is properly equipped". If the same player comes back in, I'm having a serious conversation with his coach.
That player isn't allowed to play until they are legally equipped. No yardage em=nalty is assessed, but the individual is just not allowed to play.
We do take numbers down.