Crown Point vs. Warsaw or Penn

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Boilernation

Crown Point vs. Warsaw or Penn

Post by Boilernation »

Picking Carroll to reach Semi-State was likely the worst prediction I've made this year. The Tiger fans on the gridirondigest are suggesting Warsaw played flawless and kept Carroll off the field with Bart Ball and buring extensive amounts of clock. Apparently, the Warsaw starting QB was making his 1st appearance since being injured in Week 1 vs. Michigan City.

Penn has already seen Bart Ball once this year via Mishawaka. They should be well prepaired for the Tigers.

Which school is a better matchup for Crown Point's defense assuming LC is no match for the 'Dogs? Penn's RPO offense or Warsaw's triple option attack?

VikingNation

Re: Crown Point vs. Warsaw or Penn

Post by VikingNation »

Boilernation wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:32 pm
Picking Carroll to reach Semi-State was likely the worst prediction I've made this year. The Tiger fans on the gridirondigest are suggesting Warsaw played flawless and kept Carroll off the field with Bart Ball and buring extensive amounts of clock. Apparently, the Warsaw starting QB was making his 1st appearance since being injured in Week 1 vs. Michigan City.

Penn has already seen Bart Ball once this year via Mishawaka. They should be well prepaired for the Tigers.

Which school is a better matchup for Crown Point's defense assuming LC is no match for the 'Dogs? Penn's RPO offense or Warsaw's triple option attack?
CP Defense strength is in their box defenders, you want to play a run heavy team to allow their front to control the line of scrimmage

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

Warsaw beating Carroll was a shocker. The Tigers just squeaked by two mediocre DAC teams earlier in the year. Either Carroll played their worst game possible or this is an indictment on the level of play in the SAC this year.

I’ll take Penn. I think they’ve been kinda slept on throughout the state this year. They’ve got 6 shutouts this year, and while they haven’t been against the best completion, that shows me Penn is still taking care of business like they should be. Valpo and Mishawaka are solid non conference wins too.

Think we’ll see CP vs Penn and in that one I’d have to go with Penn. I would like to see Warsaw pull another shocker as I think they’re a better matchup for CP but I doubt that’s going to happen.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

I think it’s going to be Penn vs CP. If Penn has any playmaking athletes at WR, slot or te with a good qb, CP is susceptible. If it a sluggo kind of game, CP will win.

warrior

Post by warrior »

Re: State Predictions
Post by Boilernation » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:50 am

"Penn isn't beating Fort Wayne Carroll."

Technically you were correct....

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

warrior wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:39 pm
Re: State Predictions
Post by Boilernation » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:50 am

"Penn isn't beating Fort Wayne Carroll."

Technically you were correct....
NIce. There's always a silver lining somewhere.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

nwifbfan wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 pm
I think it’s going to be Penn vs CP. If Penn has any playmaking athletes at WR, slot or te with a good qb, CP is susceptible. If it a sluggo kind of game, CP will win.
I only watched Penn play Valpo. I remember the Kingsmen breaking off multiple long runs out of the RPO. Especially with the QB.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

scarab527 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:03 pm
Warsaw beating Carroll was a shocker. The Tigers just squeaked by two mediocre DAC teams earlier in the year. Either Carroll played their worst game possible or this is an indictment on the level of play in the SAC this year.

I’ll take Penn. I think they’ve been kinda slept on throughout the state this year. They’ve got 6 shutouts this year, and while they haven’t been against the best completion, that shows me Penn is still taking care of business like they should be. Valpo and Mishawaka are solid non conference wins too.

Think we’ll see CP vs Penn and in that one I’d have to go with Penn. I would like to see Warsaw pull another shocker as I think they’re a better matchup for CP but I doubt that’s going to happen.
NLCTigerFan07 on the GID is a level headed poster who has been around the GID for years and he said Warsaw played their best game of complete football in years. Warsaw had the ball first in the 2nd half and went on a 19 play 12:04 drive that ended in a TD. Carroll then threw an INT on the following drive and Warsaw scored again to put a nail in the coffin. Seems like 2 things killed the Chargers:

1. They couldn't stop Bart Ball which leads to a ton of clock being burned
2. Their QB threw 2 INT's that were devasting

I've watched a few Carroll games and though their JR QB is really good (multiple D1 offers already) he had a tendancy to go Brett Favre and try to make something out of nothing. Against Snider he threw TWO pick sixes within the final minute of the 1st half.

NLCTigerFan07 also mentioned that Warsaw went 8-1 with their backup QB and the offense looked better against Carroll with the week 1 starter back in the lineup. He got hurt against Michigan City and has been out since.

I agree completely about Penn. 2 Solid wins against 5A contenders and they've beaten everyone they should by margins you would expect. The perception problem is they came down to Indy for their biggest game (Cathedral) and were beated very badly. It was 35-0 at halftime and Cathedral called off the dogs. I think they would be a very hard win for Crown Point. Get to Semi-State and they have another shot to right the script against a Hamilton County school.

You watch the Ben Davis / Brownsburg game? What an awful way to lose for the 'Dogs. 25-7 lead with 9 minutes to go and Brownsburg throws directly at Mark Zachary who will be one of the state's top recruits next year. It was an easy pick 6 that got Ben Davis back in the game and the rest was history. The Corner already has offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia and ND has a Junior. You can't throw at him with a 25-7 lead in the 4th quarter. Unreal!

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

Boilernation wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:02 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:03 pm

NLCTigerFan07 on the GID is a level headed poster who has been around the GID for years and he said Warsaw played their best game of complete football in years. Warsaw had the ball first in the 2nd half and went on a 19 play 12:04 drive that ended in a TD. Carroll then threw an INT on the following drive and Warsaw scored again to put a nail in the coffin. Seems like 2 things killed the Chargers:

1. They couldn't stop Bart Ball which leads to a ton of clock being burned
2. Their QB threw 2 INT's that were devasting

I've watched a few Carroll games and though their JR QB is really good (multiple D1 offers already) he had a tendancy to go Brett Favre and try to make something out of nothing. Against Snider he threw TWO pick sixes within the final minute of the 1st half.

NLCTigerFan07 also mentioned that Warsaw went 8-1 with their backup QB and the offense looked better against Carroll with the week 1 starter back in the lineup. He got hurt against Michigan City and has been out since.

I agree completely about Penn. 2 Solid wins against 5A contenders and they've beaten everyone they should by margins you would expect. The perception problem is they came down to Indy for their biggest game (Cathedral) and were beated very badly. It was 35-0 at halftime and Cathedral called off the dogs. I think they would be a very hard win for Crown Point. Get to Semi-State and they have another shot to right the script against a Hamilton County school.

You watch the Ben Davis / Brownsburg game? What an awful way to lose for the 'Dogs. 25-7 lead with 9 minutes to go and Brownsburg throws directly at Mark Zachary who will be one of the state's top recruits next year. It was an easy pick 6 that got Ben Davis back in the game and the rest was history. The Corner already has offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia and ND has a Junior. You can't throw at him with a 25-7 lead in the 4th quarter. Unreal!
SAC teams seem to struggle with physical run offenses. Last year Mishawaka jumped on Snider 21-0 before the Panthers were able to come back. Then the next week they got ran over by Valpo.

I think Penn is also underrated because the narrative around the program right now is that they are a shell of their former selves (somewhat true). But the truth is they are still easily a top 15 team in the state. The next two games project pretty winnable for them against Warsaw and CP. Not sure if they’ll have the firepower to beat Westfield/Fishers/HSE though.

I saw the score in that game was 25-7 in the 4th and thought it was over, but then I tuned in anyway. It was 25-21 and BD had the ball. I knew then that the Giants were going to win with Brownsburg’s history of choking, and on that drive they scored. Then the BD pass rush took over. Pretty brutal loss for John Hart and co. The chokers narrative has never been stronger. But the team will inevitably break through at some point.

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

"Bart Ball" has played for a state title in the last 10-15 years.