Merrillville/Valpo rematch.

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
DACfanatic

Merrillville/Valpo rematch.

Post by DACfanatic »

There are some people that are calling this the 5A state title game. So I’m gonna give my observation of the game during the season and what I think will happen in this game this week.

So the game earlier in the year @ Valpo! Merrillville came out blazing and took a quick 7-0 lead to start the game. And the defense for Merrillville kept Valpo in a choke hold for the 1st qtr. qtr ended 7-0.. starting 2nd qtr Merrillville quickly added a FG. And then Valpo broke a long run by burda up the middle for a TD to make it 10-7. Merrillville then quickly scored another 7 to make it 17-7. But on the insuring kick off Valpo returns it for a TD to make it 17-14. Merrillville then turned the ball over on their own 30 with about a min left in the half that Valpo put in to make it 20-17 at the half. Adjustments were made by both teams at the half. Valpo came out and stiffed merrillvilles only possession in the 3rd and made us punt. And Valpo drove down the field for 8ish mins for a TD to make it 26-17 (missed XP) that would be ending score of 3rd..

To start the 4th merrillville made adjustments and shut down Valpo. And got a quick score to make it 26-24. They forced Valpo to punt and the pirates got the ball back I. There hands but merrillville decided to run 3 straight times and Brad seiss choose to punt the ball on a 4th and 2 from the merrillville 43 yard line. Valpo then got the ball back on the punt with 2 mins to go and all they needed was 1 st down and Clark completed a run on 3rd and 13 to ice the game for Valpo, then game was fun to watch and I can’t wait for this Friday.

The rematch is @ merrillville. Both teams have been quietly succeeding this year. The spread is Valpo by 2.. but this is all unbias opinion, I expect merrillville to take control of this rematch at home. So in my opinion Valpo peaked mid season and they are starting to steady out / slightly decline in play (see there last 2 games) while merrillville since the Valpo lost has improved every week. I don’t think merrillville has hit there peak yet, they finally found the packages QB pope is comfortable with. And they are now more a RB by committe than just a JQ Johnson backfield. The WRs have stepped up. And I look forward to seeing what they do against Valpo as they were open most rh game against Valpo. But the merrillville QB was off target a lot. He is still shaky but has improved, merrillville defense and Valpo defense are both great. So I’m gonna break this down by position..

QB: even
Rb: merrillville (more people to go too)
WR: merrillville
Te: Valpo
OL: slight Valpo edge
DL: Merrillville
LBs: Valpo
Secondary: Merrillville
Special teams: slight Valpo
Coaching: Valpo

I this game comes down to can Valpo make long drives and keep the merrillville offense off field. And can Merrillville D keep Valpo on sidelines,

Merrillville is a whole different animal at home.. as we have only lost 1 home game in 4 years? (Maybe 2)

Merrillville is averaging 36ppg at home and only giving up 5.7ppg..

Valpo on road is avg 34ppg but defense gives up 12.8

I think this game is tight at half with merrillville pulling away in 3rd/4th. I got a predicted score of

38-29 merrillville. In another classic.

Good luck to both teams!!

BallinFreak

Re: Merrillville/Valpo rematch.

Post by BallinFreak »

No one is calling this the state title game

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

I was gonna say…

No one in their right mind is saying this is the 5A state title game lol.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

State Title game???

Agree a good game but C'mon Man!!

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

BallinFreak wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:56 pm
Might wanna check the Indy Star paper. Top 2 teams left in 5A in all reality.

And it’s all over many blogs. Same was said last year. Winner of this game wins state. No one in 5A comes close to talent of either team. Only reason snider is ranked above either team is because of Penn,crownpoint. Which snider played noone else there level. It’s 2 losses that’s why.

Merrillville and Valpo stand far above the rest. It was proven.

And again may wanna look at gridiron digest.

John Harrell blog.

Indian high school football page on fb.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

It will be close until 4th quarter. Valpo offensive line and power running game wears Merrillville down and wins by 10.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

DACfanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:34 pm
BallinFreak wrote:

And it’s all over many blogs. Same was said last year. Winner of this game wins state. No one in 5A comes close to talent of either team. Only reason snider is ranked above either team is because of Penn,crownpoint. Which snider played noone else there level. It’s 2 losses that’s why.

John Harrell blog.

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

Valpo will end this argument on Friday night. Will they win state? Time will dictate the outcome.

paintballer

Post by paintballer »

DACfanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:34 pm
BallinFreak wrote:

John Harrell blog.

Digest boards aren't even mentioning this game as even existing.

Can you support any of these claims with links to evidence of this being said by anyone in the state this year or last? Saying no one in 5A comes close to the talent of either team is pretty disrespectful to what the staffs at Mishawaka and Snider have developed.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

Exactly paint. There are are some good teams in 5A left.