Merrillville/crown point semistate opinions and predictions.

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
DACfanatic

Merrillville/crown point semistate opinions and predictions.

Post by DACfanatic »

So as we all know I’m bias so I’m gonna be as unbiased as possible…

Let’s start with the 6A matchup.

Westfield @ crown point: this matchup is a matchup to see if buzea really can compete with Indy schools and if the DAC can win these types of games. My jury is still out on CP. Westfield has rolled merrillville in 2 semistates in last 3 years. And this crown point team gave up a lot to a Penn team that I expected to beat crown point. Strength of schedule goes to Westfield and it’s not close. They have also played a lot better than crown point has. But this game is in NWI.. Westfield has to make the trip up to the 219 and fave a hungry bulldog team. Buzea has been known recently for losing the big games in Illinois. This might be the biggest game for CP in there school history.. Can he win this one?

Don’t have any stats between the two teams.

Being I secretly support all DAC teams my heart says crown point wins a tight one 35-34…

But my brain and the stats.. it says Westfield by 2 TDs..

5A

Merrillville @ FW snider…

What can I say here. Merrillville pulled out a comeback against Valpo! One of the best games I have seen between these 2 schools. Nothing but respect to Valpo and there players. Merrillville has to get the bad snaps under control.. one of the worst games snapping the ball I have ever seen from Merrillville. While fw snider also had to come back and kick a game winning FG against a Mishawaka team I truly expected them to score at ease on. This game is closer than most think on paper.. Merrillville in my personal opinion has the better all around Defense. While snider has the better all around Offense. Merrillville QB has to be on point with passes or it could be a long night for him. Same goes for snider that also has issues throwing the ball. So let’s see the stats say.

Merrillville gives up 13 points a game.
Snider gives up 14

Snider offense scores 42 ppg
Merrillville scores 30ppg

SOS favors Merrillville as there’s is 64th in state
While sniders is ranked 73rd.

Sagrin ratings have Merrillville as a 1.5 point favorite.. but we will see what John Harrell has to say later on.

Quick stat break down.

Merrillville passes for 117 YPG (estimated)
Snider passes for 133 YPG (estimated)

Merrillville runs for 277ypg (estimated)
Snider runs for 245 YPG (estimated)

So this game is close on paper..

My heart says merrillville wins a tight one 42-39

But my head says snider wins this game by 7..

Let’s go region teams!!

Maybe bring home 2 state titles and get a 5A champ vs 6A champ week 3 next year 🤷🏻‍♂️🏴‍☠️

Bring on the opinions and predictions we got a whole week to talk football!

BallinFreak

Re: Merrillville/crown point semistate opinions and predictions.

Post by BallinFreak »

Don't back down now.

Merrillville won the state title last night!

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

BallinFreak wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 pm
Don't back down now.

I completely agree that it was the state title game. But I also know how merrillville coaches are 😂

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

Just wait and see how far they go.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

Only way I see CP winning next week is in another shootout. Westfield throws the ball around even better than Penn. Ehrlich is going to have to make some clutch plays too as CP won’t be able to just run right at Westfield like they did Penn. Would love to see the Dogs get to LOS but I doubt they’ll have the firepower to do so.

Snider looked very good in the 1st quarter last week when I watched before the Region games started. But after that apparently they played very sloppily and just barely pulled out the win vs Mishawaka. I think if Snider plays like they did in that 1Q the Ville will be in for a long night. But if they play like they did the rest of the game the Pirates will have a legit chance to pull this one out. Snider does have a tendency for let downs in big games, but I’m going to have to take the Panthers here.

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

scarab527 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:44 pm
Only way I see CP winning next week is in another shootout. Westfield throws the ball around even better than Penn. Ehrlich is going to have to make some clutch plays too as CP won’t be able to just run right at Westfield like they did Penn. Would love to see the Dogs get to LOS but I doubt they’ll have the firepower to do so.

Snider looked very good in the 1st quarter last week when I watched before the Region games started. But after that apparently they played very sloppily and just barely pulled out the win vs Mishawaka. I think if Snider plays like they did in that 1Q the Ville will be in for a long night. But if they play like they did the rest of the game the Pirates will have a legit chance to pull this one out. Snider does have a tendency for let downs in big games, but I’m going to have to take the Panthers here.

Watching there game.. snider didn’t change anything or look any worst after 1st qtr. Mishawaka just made the adjustment to shut down there run. Snider also has major issues throwing the ball all season. Same with merrillville in all reality Merrillville is more prepared for this game as they faced back to back teams they need to run to win games (Morton,Valpo,Munster) now don’t get me wrong 2/3 are no where near snider level. But they had 2 of the top rushers in the state and then burda and Clark are a top 10 combo… snider hasn’t faced anyone that really is any type of threat with speed and athleticism since like week 5??? Mishawaka runs a “easy” system that’s hard to defend and it took a long FG to win it. Snider hasn’t faced anyone that can throw 4 different runners at them that all bring something different

(JQ, Stephen, Gillis, pope)

This game is gonna be fun to watch. But merrillville defense is far superior to snider. So as long as merrillville D shows up I think merrillville takes it.

But merrillville also hasn’t seen speed coming at them at all this year outside of them practice themselves.

Gonna be a heck of a game.

Tickets on sale tomorrow!

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

I know nothing about Snider. So I’ll focus on Merrillville. Merrillville defense is legit especially their front 4 and Stephens rooming on next level. I think they will hold up on the road. Defense travels. Now offensively, Merrillville is challenged. DAC, it doesn’t matter if they have 7 backs to run at them. Merrillville offensively comes down to qb play. He has to play a very good game both running, throwing and decision making. Defense will keep them in it though. They just need to score enough. I don’t see this as a track meet scoring wise.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

DACfanatic wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:04 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 pm
Don't back down now.

I completely agree that it was the state title game. But I also know how merrillville coaches are 😂
4 Regional Titles in the past 5 seasons and you're criticizing the coaches? And we all know you would have backtracked and picked Snider to beat Valpo.

I've seen Merrillville play twice (Both Valpo games). In both games Pope's downfield passes were basically just Hail Mary's. Is that common? He'll have to be very careful with those types of plays against Snider. Brandon Logan, Snider's 6'0
Junior Safety, could play in the Big Ten as a Safety but is already committed to play OF for one of the top baseball programs in the Country (Vanderbilt). He has range and will run those passes down unlike Valpo's Secondary. The Pirates need to stick to the short passing game or running plays and I believe they can win this game. Snider is really good, but as Mishawaka showed they're beatable outside of Fort Wayne.
Last edited by Boilernation on Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

scarab527 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:44 pm
Agreed. Westfield can run the ball or throw the ball highly effectively. I can't see CP's defense slowing them down after what I saw against Penn. And trying to run Ellison play after play off tackle, espeically in the Wildcat, will get shut down immediately against Westfield. Their front 7 on D is too good.

CP's chances will likely come down to Erhlich's arm and Buz's play calling. He's crafty. I'll expect him to try countering Westfields attacking defense with some creative play calling.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

I don't want to count out Buzz and CP, but it is not looking good for them IMO.

Merrillville has a punchers chance.

But I would say it is likely that both region teams end up with an L this week.