Merrillville/crown point semistate opinions and predictions.

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Richielikelionel

Re: Merrillville/crown point semistate opinions and predictions.

Post by Richielikelionel »

Westfield @ CP
I’m going to take the Bulldogs in this one. I think they have the team and coaching to win this one. My three reasons

1. Quarterback Ehrlich
2. Home field advantage
3. Go to the wildcat power offense early and often.

Why Westfield could win? They are a talented team. They hold a 20 point win over another semi state team in New Palestine. If Crown point has a weakness, it’s the passing defense and Westfield has a very good passing attack. Crown Point needs to stop the run without stacking the box. Westfield has 6 targets with nearly 20 receptions or more. Which tells me that the quarterback is making reads and not keying one or two guys in plays.

But I’m going to go CP 31 Westfield 21

I think Buzea coaching career comes full circle. Took portage to state in first coaching season. Returns to the DAC and takes another team 29 years later.

Ville @ Snider

Going to take Snider 24 Ville 21. If the Ville plays smarter, wouldn’t surprise me at all they win it but I just think between penalty’s and maybe a few costly turnovers that snider pulls it out. Hope I’m wrong.

Boilernation

Post by Boilernation »

Richielikelionel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:44 am
Westfield @ CP
I’m going to take the Bulldogs in this one. I think they have the team and coaching to win this one. My three reasons

1. Quarterback Ehrlich
2. Home field advantage

Why Westfield could win? They are a talented team. They hold a 20 point win over another semi state team in New Palestine. If Crown point has a weakness, it’s the passing defense and Westfield has a very good passing attack. Crown Point needs to stop the run without stacking the box. Westfield has 6 targets with nearly 20 receptions or more. Which tells me that the quarterback is making reads and not keying one or two guys in plays.

I think Buzea coaching career comes full circle. Took portage to state in first coaching season. Returns to the DAC and takes another team 29 years later.

Ville @ Snider

Going to take Snider 24 Ville 21. If the Ville plays smarter, wouldn’t surprise me at all they win it but I just think between penalty’s and maybe a few costly turnovers that snider pulls it out. Hope I’m wrong.
Your observation is correct regarding Westfield's QB. He's the coaches son. He's good. Regarding #3, I would be thoroughly impressed with CP's OL if that actually happened. I have a feeling Westfield will completely shut down the wildcat power offense.

Tomter1

Post by Tomter1 »

DACfanatic wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:30 pm
So as we all know I’m bias so I’m gonna be as unbiased as possible…

Let’s start with the 6A matchup.

Westfield @ crown point: this matchup is a matchup to see if buzea really can compete with Indy schools and if the DAC can win these types of games. My jury is still out on CP. Westfield has rolled merrillville in 2 semistates in last 3 years. And this crown point team gave up a lot to a Penn team that I expected to beat crown point. Strength of schedule goes to Westfield and it’s not close. They have also played a lot better than crown point has. But this game is in NWI.. Westfield has to make the trip up to the 219 and fave a hungry bulldog team. Buzea has been known recently for losing the big games in Illinois. This might be the biggest game for CP in there school history.. Can he win this one?

Don’t have any stats between the two teams.

Being I secretly support all DAC teams my heart says crown point wins a tight one 35-34…

But my brain and the stats.. it says Westfield by 2 TDs..

5A

Merrillville @ FW snider…

What can I say here. Merrillville pulled out a comeback against Valpo! One of the best games I have seen between these 2 schools. Nothing but respect to Valpo and there players. Merrillville has to get the bad snaps under control.. one of the worst games snapping the ball I have ever seen from Merrillville. While fw snider also had to come back and kick a game winning FG against a Mishawaka team I truly expected them to score at ease on. This game is closer than most think on paper.. Merrillville in my personal opinion has the better all around Defense. While snider has the better all around Offense. Merrillville QB has to be on point with passes or it could be a long night for him. Same goes for snider that also has issues throwing the ball. So let’s see the stats say.

Merrillville gives up 13 points a game.
Snider gives up 14

Snider offense scores 42 ppg
Merrillville scores 30ppg

SOS favors Merrillville as there’s is 64th in state
While sniders is ranked 73rd.

Sagrin ratings have Merrillville as a 1.5 point favorite.. but we will see what John Harrell has to say later on.

Quick stat break down.

Merrillville passes for 117 YPG (estimated)
Snider passes for 133 YPG (estimated)

Merrillville runs for 277ypg (estimated)
Snider runs for 245 YPG (estimated)

So this game is close on paper..

My heart says merrillville wins a tight one 42-39

But my head says snider wins this game by 7..

Let’s go region teams!!

Maybe bring home 2 state titles and get a 5A champ vs 6A champ week 3 next year 🤷🏻‍♂️🏴‍☠️

Bring on the opinions and predictions we got a whole week to talk football!
So, your heart is saying Merrillville beats Snider with the same exact score that Snider beat them by in 2012??

How can your head say Snider wins by 7 when the Da regional game last week was the "state title" game?

From the Stands

Post by From the Stands »

Richielikelionel wrote:
Westfield @ CP

1. Quarterback Ehrlich
2. Home field advantage

Ville @ Snider

CP owns a 33 pt win over another semi-state team, Merrillville.

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

Boilernation wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:15 pm
DACfanatic wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:04 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 pm
Don't back down now.

Merrillville won the state title last night!
I completely agree that it was the state title game. But I also know how merrillville coaches are 😂
4 Regional Titles in the past 5 seasons and you're criticizing the coaches? And we all know you would have backtracked and picked Snider to beat Valpo.

I've seen Merrillville play twice (Both Valpo games). In both games Pope's downfield passes were basically just Hail Mary's. Is that common? He'll have to be very careful with those types of plays against Snider. Brandon Logan, Snider's 6'0
Junior Safety, could play in the Big Ten as a Safety but is already committed to play OF for one of the top baseball programs in the Country (Vanderbilt). He has range and will run those passes down unlike Valpo's Secondary. The Pirates need to stick to the short passing game or running plays and I believe they can win this game. Snider is really good, but as Mishawaka showed they're beatable outside of Fort Wayne.

Yes it’s very common. Pope is a 1-30 yard passer. Anything further it’s a lot less accurate. We don’t have that explosive down field thrower. But we do have the explosive WRs that can break anything.

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

From the Stands wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:04 pm
Richielikelionel wrote:
Westfield @ CP

1. Quarterback Ehrlich
2. Home field advantage

Ville @ Snider

Cp only won that game by that much do to merrillville missing 5 starters to start game… QB was hurt but played (ankle)
Rb (ankle)

And then during game lost DT (broke arm) DB (broken hand)

We replay that game is a 3-7 point game

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

Yes it's nice to speculate...

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Merrillville offensive line has improved dramatically from the beginning of the season. Limit mistakes, no turnovers, qb plays a solid game. Merrillville wins.

From the Stands

Post by From the Stands »

DACfanatic wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:03 pm
From the Stands wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:04 pm
Richielikelionel wrote:
Westfield @ CP

1. Quarterback Ehrlich
2. Home field advantage

Ville @ Snider

Cp only won that game by that much do to merrillville missing 5 starters to start game… QB was hurt but played (ankle)
Rb (ankle)

And then during game lost DT (broke arm) DB (broken hand)

We replay that game is a 3-7 point game
Name the 5 starters that didn’t start the game. Pretty sure that’s not the case. But they did get beat up during the game.

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

Yes, inquiring minds want to know?