Munster Open

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Dann Ellenwood

Re: Munster Open

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

With all the success at Mount Carmel and his apparent recruiting prowess, sounds like Jordan Lynch should be the HFB coach at Munster.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

It’s been going on long before Jordan Lynch arrived as coach. It also has expanded beyond Munster. Illinois allows recruiting. Hell this is where Buzea refined his recruiting skill that he’s brought to CP.

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

nwifbfan wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:19 pm
It’s been going on long before Jordan Lynch arrived as coach. It also has expanded beyond Munster. Illinois allows recruiting. Hell this is where Buzea refined his recruiting skill that he’s brought to CP.
Aware.

warrior

Post by warrior »

Ironically enough, a friend of mine who's kid went to MC sent me this quote last week from Lynch. I think it was either before or after the title game in reference to "recruiting" and the differences between publics and privates. Interesting to say the least.

"The one town one team whole thing they are saying, that seems pretty easy to me to be honest with you. Those are kids that grew up playing together....those guys have team chemistry. Those guys know, in my opinion, where their next meal is coming from. Catholic schools have no idea. You have to fight every single day. Kids come to Mount Carmel from different backgrounds and now you have to coach them to the same common goal of winning a state championship and getting on the right page. That's hard. One team, one goal, what they have, that's easy. They know where their next meal is coming from."

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

warrior wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:36 pm
Ironically enough, a friend of mine who's kid went to MC sent me this quote last week from Lynch. I think it was either before or after the title game in reference to "recruiting" and the differences between publics and privates. Interesting to say the least.

"The one town one team whole thing they are saying, that seems pretty easy to me to be honest with you. Those are kids that grew up playing together....those guys have team chemistry. Those guys know, in my opinion, where their next meal is coming from. Catholic schools have no idea. You have to fight every single day. Kids come to Mount Carmel from different backgrounds and now you have to coach them to the same common goal of winning a state championship and getting on the right page. That's hard. One team, one goal, what they have, that's easy. They know where their next meal is coming from."
I saw it all over Twitter/ X on Saturday. For sure an interesting choice of a metaphor to use in reference to "recruiting" given the fact that MOST public schools have some students who truly do not know where their next meal is actually coming from. I see the Private/Catholic side of this argument because MOST Catholics (practicing or otherwise) do not enroll their children in Catholic/ Private schools (based on data from GID threads on similar topic) so they have to find these kids somewhere and normally (and unfortunately) those kids come from places like Downers Grove, Harvey, Munster, St. John, Dyer, Hammond, Mt. Greenwood, Evergreen Park, etc.

I will say (even though it goes without saying, I think?), I don't think getting uber talented players from multiple cities/towns and coaching them to state titles is harder than coaching the players that are coming up through a public school's "feeder systems" and winning with them. Lol I've played on a team full of DUDES from other towns/ cities before (in 8th grade) and we CERTAINTLY did not (nor did our coaches) struggle with getting us to come "from different backgrounds and now being coached to the same common goal of winning." Again, I'm picking up what Jordan is putting down, but I think he could of found a better way to say/ deliver it.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

I will say (even though it goes without saying, I think?), I don't think getting uber talented players from multiple cities/towns and coaching them to state titles is harder than coaching the players that are coming up through a public school's "feeder systems" and winning with them. Lol I've played on a team full of DUDES from other towns/ cities before (in 8th grade) and we CERTAINTLY did not (nor did our coaches) struggle with getting us to come "from different backgrounds and now being coached to the same common goal of winning." Again, I'm picking up what Jordan is putting down, but I think he could of found a better way to say/ deliver it.
Interesting discussion/debate. I do know that many parochials are getting 9th graders that have never played football before vs public’s usually have played in town ball/Pop Warner and/or middle school. So advantage public’s. I also get Lynch’s reasoning to a point but……
Give me the Jimmy and Joe’s all day everyday!!

warrior

Post by warrior »

A lot of what he said bothers me, but the two most troubling IMO are:

1. The "next meal" analogy is just offensive, especially to schools who LITERALLY are at 100% poverty level.
2. The usage of the word "easy." None of it's easy anymore, public or private. And, if it was, publics would be winning titles at a way higher percentage and the privates would be complaining about the inherent advantages publics have. Clearly, that's not reality.

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

The Next Meal analogy does not bother me as much as the Easy comment. Many aspects make it not easy.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Any updates on this open position?

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

Nothing concrete... a few names floating around... no one is talking.