Munster Open

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
nwifbfan

Re: Munster Open

Post by nwifbfan »

There are plenty of issues with Munster football and none have to do with Leroy Marsh. Reason:

Participation down due to change in demographics and losing their top athletes to Chicago Catholic League specifically Mt Carmel. It is a basketball, soccer, tennis, swimming school now.

From a coaching perspective, great school system with great pay for a teacher and coach. Feeder programs are in place Pop Warner through middle school. Expectations for winning are not unrealistic. Expectation would be to be competitive and know you will likely never win a sectional in 5A. Key for change will be how to keep your talent in Munster.

In the hiring process, how do they find a competitive coach that knows winning a sectional might be a bridge to far and even possibly winning a conference will be a stretch. A challenge for sure but will be well compensated and in a great school system.

VikingNation

Post by VikingNation »

nwifbfan wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:12 pm
There are plenty of issues with Munster football and none have to do with Leroy Marsh. Reason:

Participation down due to change in demographics and losing their top athletes to Chicago Catholic League specifically Mt Carmel. It is a basketball, soccer, tennis, swimming school now.

From a coaching perspective, great school system with great pay for a teacher and coach. Feeder programs are in place Pop Warner through middle school. Expectations for winning are not unrealistic. Expectation would be to be competitive and know you will likely never win a sectional in 5A. Key for change will be how to keep your talent in Munster.

In the hiring process, how do they find a competitive coach that knows winning a sectional might be a bridge to far and even possibly winning a conference will be a stretch. A challenge for sure but will be well compensated and in a great school system.
100% agree with this

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

I've heard through the grapevine throughout the years that this quote......
nwifbfan wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:12 pm
losing their top athletes to Chicago Catholic League specifically Mt Carmel.
is why this post (and narrative)......
Boilernation wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:14 am
I know nothing about Munster. Did Leroy drive the program into the dirt by staying on too long or keep it from dying earlier by staying on so long. They were much more successful earlier in his tenure, but that was also before the population explosion in South Lake County.
is brought up as being a topic of discussion in the downfall of Munster football.

I do not believe Leroy became a worse coach, player developer, or football mind at the end of his time at Munster. However, I have heard that coach Marsh had some harsh things to say to some prospective Mustangs that could have potentially shifted the landscape of Munster football in the future (present day). Those prospective students athletes headed to Mount Carmel instead, had tremendous careers, won some state titles, and would have SIGNIFICANTLY impacted the Munster football rosters from 2013-2017, and beyond. Again, this is all hear say and information I have heard through word of mouth for years. But if true, coach Marsh's only contribution to the downfall of Munster football would be refusing to play the HS recruiting game and protecting his own from the Catholic League wolves, IF ANYTHING. I do not think Leroy Marsh became a bad coach, football mind, or player developer, but he MAY not have wanted to play the "recruiting game."

Nothing like some offseason fun. Lol

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

Was harsh speak before their departure to MC or was it after?

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

VPISU wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:32 pm
I have been told BEFORE their departure from Wilbur Wright Middle School to Mount Carmel High School. Kinda sounded to me like Leroy did not have any interest in patting kids on the back/ laying out the red carpet for players who have only played Pop Warner/ Middle School football. While understandable, that can be detrimental to a public school program fighting off their Catholic demons.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:40 pm
VPISU wrote:
I have been told BEFORE their departure from Wilbur Wright Middle School to Mount Carmel High School. Kinda sounded to me like Leroy did not have any interest in patting kids on the back/ laying out the red carpet for players who have only played Pop Warner/ Middle School football. While understandable, that can be detrimental to a public school program fighting off their Catholic demons.
Interesting. I did not know this. If true, seems foolish! I think all coaches have to be a bit of a salesman these days. I can also understand Leroy’s approach if the players (more likely the parents) were being ridiculous. What’s that quote, “ No player is bigger than the program”.

2013-2017 seems like a long time ago and enough time to establish the positive relationships with the younger kids.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Don’t get me wrong, I am no Munster fan but I am a NCC fan. The conference is better when Munster is better. I’d love to see the NCC have no easy outs week in and week out. With the addition of Hanover Central and the improvement you are seeing at KV, getting Munster back on track would be fantastic. Highland has made progress with Coach K but they need to take the next step.

warrior

Post by warrior »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:25 pm
But if true, coach Marsh's only contribution to the downfall of Munster football would be refusing to play the HS recruiting game and protecting his own from the Catholic League wolves
Unfortunately, this is why you now see public schools poaching kids from other public schools; at least more than ever before. We should have all seen this coming with the advent of vouchers and referendums. The rich will continue to get richer and the rest will feed off the scraps. The only way I see to stop it is to move sports to a club model and get them out of the schools. Sad.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

nwifbfan wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:52 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:40 pm
VPISU wrote:
Interesting. I did not know this. If true, seems foolish! I think all coaches have to be a bit of a salesman these days. I can also understand Leroy’s approach if the players (more likely the parents) were being ridiculous. What’s that quote, “ No player is bigger than the program”.

2013-2017 seems like a long time ago and enough time to establish the positive relationships with the younger kids.
For sure a long time ago, but a kid who was a senior in 2017 could have a younger brother that was a senior this season or last season. More often than not, families that send the oldest to an MC will follow suit with the younger ones if they too are male student-athletes and they "fell out of love" with their public school community for whatever reason. I agree with you though, totally understand Leroy's stance and approach if this is all true, but as you said (unfortunately) you have to be a bit of a salesman to a lot of parents and as a result, their kids now a days.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

warrior wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:31 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:25 pm
But if true, coach Marsh's only contribution to the downfall of Munster football would be refusing to play the HS recruiting game and protecting his own from the Catholic League wolves
Unfortunately, this is why you now see public schools poaching kids from other public schools; at least more than ever before. We should have all seen this coming with the advent of vouchers and referendums. The rich will continue to get richer and the rest will feed off the scraps. The only way I see to stop it is to move sports to a club model and get them out of the schools. Sad.
Definitely a tough, frustrating "game" to be a part of but if you're left to feed off the scraps then you have to be willing to hustle harder than anyone else to make sure those scraps add up to feed your family and not someone else's (MC in this case).