Fighting During a Football Game

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Nutsy

Fighting During a Football Game

Post by Nutsy »

I remember playing this school back in the 8th grade when equipment was not as good as it is today. I caught a forearm to the face over the top of the nylon face mask, which resulted in a broken nose. I came out of the game long enough to receive a cotton plug in each nostril. It was not uncommon to have your hands stepped or to be bitten on the bottom of a pile. Eye gouging was a common event when playing these guys. Our Center the next year was on the receiving end of a dirt bomb to the eyes from the NG. (ejection) Lots of flags flying and wolf tickets being sold. If there was a better cheap shot team out there I did not know about it !

Move forward to 1972, my school is playing this particular team, flags are flying ejections are piling up and its only the first quarter. Our punter is knocked to the ground on a punt and words were exchanged. The guy that tackled him pulls his helmet off and starts hitting the punter. Before this player can be ejected both benches empty and the fight was on. In the attempt to stop the fighting the players were being pulled off one another. Our coach touched one of the other teams players and caught a clipboard upside the head from the other HC !

Our coach took the team off the field and refused to come back on the field resulting in a 2 - 0 forfeit. Sanctions were brought against each coach and when the smoke cleared over ten players total were ejected, extending into the next weeks game.

Nut

Happy New Year, come on down to El Monte Slim's
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

Dann Ellenwood

Re: Fighting During a Football Game

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

Nutsy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:28 pm
I remember playing this school back in the 8th grade when equipment was not as good as it is today. I caught a forearm to the face over the top of the nylon face mask, which resulted in a broken nose. I came out of the game long enough to receive a cotton plug in each nostril. It was not uncommon to have your hands stepped or to be bitten on the bottom of a pile. Eye gouging was a common event when playing these guys. Our Center the next year was on the receiving end of a dirt bomb to the eyes from the NG. (ejection) Lots of flags flying and wolf tickets being sold. If there was a better cheap shot team out there I did not know about it !

Move forward to 1972, my school is playing this particular team, flags are flying ejections are piling up and its only the first quarter. Our punter is knocked to the ground on a punt and words were exchanged. The guy that tackled him pulls his helmet off and starts hitting the punter. Before this player can be ejected both benches empty and the fight was on. In the attempt to stop the fighting the players were being pulled off one another. Our coach touched one of the other teams players and caught a clipboard upside the head from the other HC !

Our coach took the team off the field and refused to come back on the field resulting in a 2 - 0 forfeit. Sanctions were brought against each coach and when the smoke cleared over ten players total were ejected, extending into the next weeks game.

Nut

Happy New Year, come on down to El Monte Slim's
Goose Liver, that you?

stackalee

Post by stackalee »

had a guy from calumet deliberately step on my hand with his cleats in 97. i had to restrain myself from doing something stupid. still have the scar. we beat them 73-0 :D

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

Ah yes the old cleat to the hand...

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

oldunclemark

Post by oldunclemark »

stackalee wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:42 pm
had a guy from calumet deliberately step on my hand with his cleats in 97. i had to restrain myself from doing something stupid. still have the scar. we beat them 73-0 :D

Shouldnt have been running up the score, Stack. ;)