Rick Good to LC

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Nathan_Laird

Re: Rick Good to LC

Post by Nathan_Laird »

BallinFreak wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:16 am
I am sure it will be spun as a good hire, but a school like LC should not be getting their next head coach from Calumet.

Maybe Merrillville or Valpo can turn to River Forest or Lake Station for their next head coaches
i get what you're saying, but I think experience in turning around a program is huge - its not as if he took over a mediocre/struggling program and they remained mediocre/struggling - he took over one had had them trending in an upward direction. now he's gotta do it again, just on a bigger stage.
There's nothing else going....so why not bring this back?

warrior

Post by warrior »

What intangibles is he bringing to the table that are going to turn it around? I assume the interview pool had good candidates so he clearly won the committee over with something. Is he:

1. A master motivator? Is he going to be the guy that gets the baseball and basketball athletes to give up their year round one sport focus and come out for football

2. Able to schematically outcoach the other DAC programs? Many nights LC is going to be at a competitive disadvantage. Does he bring a coaching acumen on either side of the ball that's going to translate to wins that might not necessarily be earned (i.e. upsets)

If LC hopes to increase the Friday night W's, any coach needs to possess one or both of these attributes. If not, you're looking at more of the same... 2 or 3 win seasons.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

Nathan_Laird wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:59 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
I am sure it will be spun as a good hire, but a school like LC should not be getting their next head coach from Calumet.

Maybe Merrillville or Valpo can turn to River Forest or Lake Station for their next head coaches
i get what you're saying, but I think experience in turning around a program is huge - its not as if he took over a mediocre/struggling program and they remained mediocre/struggling - he took over one had had them trending in an upward direction. now he's gotta do it again, just on a bigger stage.
Well said.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

Nathan_Laird

Post by Nathan_Laird »

warrior wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:24 pm
What intangibles is he bringing to the table that are going to turn it around? I assume the interview pool had good candidates so he clearly won the committee over with something. Is he:

1. A master motivator? Is he going to be the guy that gets the baseball and basketball athletes to give up their year round one sport focus and come out for football

2. Able to schematically outcoach the other DAC programs? Many nights LC is going to be at a competitive disadvantage. Does he bring a coaching acumen on either side of the ball that's going to translate to wins that might not necessarily be earned (i.e. upsets)

If LC hopes to increase the Friday night W's, any coach needs to possess one or both of these attributes. If not, you're looking at more of the same... 2 or 3 win seasons.
its a big job, and a tough one, for sure - i just disagree with immediately dismissing him because he came from Calumet

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

Nathan_Laird wrote:
BallinFreak wrote:

Fair enough. I hope I am wrong. But I think this is going to be prove to be a terrible hire.

Nathan_Laird

Post by Nathan_Laird »

BallinFreak wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:26 pm
Nathan_Laird wrote:
BallinFreak wrote:

Fair enough. I hope I am wrong. But I think this is going to be prove to be a terrible hire.
outside of him coming from Calumet, what makes you say that?

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

Nathan_Laird wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:26 pm
Nathan_Laird wrote:

Not enough experience.

Not understanding the mountain that is in place at LC.

His success at Calumet is a little deceptive in that they beat up on some pretty weak teams along the way. Now I understand you gotta play the teams on your schedule. But rolling Noll, LS, and RF is not really getting one ready for the DAC.

AD#8

Post by AD#8 »

BallinFreak wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:02 pm
[quote=Nathan_Laird post_id=398 time=<a href="tel:1611182155">1611182155</a> user_id=48]
[quote=BallinFreak post_id=397 time=<a href="tel:1611181617">1611181617</a> user_id=101]
[quote=Nathan_Laird post_id=391 time=<a href="tel:1611169171">1611169171</a> user_id=48]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Not enough experience.

Not understanding the mountain that is in place at LC.

His success at Calumet is a little deceptive in that they beat up on some pretty weak teams along the way. Now I understand you gotta play the teams on your schedule. But rolling Noll, LS, and RF is not really getting one ready for the DAC.
[/quote]

I agree with Ballin’ on many of his points and it has nothing to do with Coach Good. LC is a career killer, and I don’t think Coach Good will have anymore success than the last Coach because he lacks the two points that Warrior made. St. Germain was able to out coach people when he was at LC and had more horses, I don’t think Coach Good is that guy. For the sake of the LC kids, I hope I’m wrong, but my head tells me we are having a similar discussion in 4 years.