Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
warrior
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by warrior »

Godsmack wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 pm
You may have forgotten but there is someone else who I know well who has a Blue and a Red.
At one time won 29 straight games.
Has 5 Semi-state appearances.
2 of which are with a team that only had 2 winning seasons, prior to his arrival.
Is the all-time winningest coach at 2 schools.
The last 5 coaches at Andrean prior to Skinner all walked out with a ring. Until he's won a ring at a public, you're comparing apples and oranges

Nutsy
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by Nutsy »

warrior wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm
Nutsy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:07 pm
If you want to go on rings; Blue Red

Howell 4 - 7

Kennedy 1 - 2

Radtke 1 - 0





Nut
Doesn't Russ have red rings from Judson and New Prairie? Or are you not counting those because they are outside the Region?
Upon further review Russ has a Red ring in the loss to New Palestine 2014, sounded like a BB score 42-77 ? I would be interested to discover the year of the North Jud appearance. So... it looks like we have a tie for second.

Nut
Come on down to El Mote Slim's

warrior
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by warrior »

Nutsy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 pm
Upon further review Russ has a Red ring in the loss to New Palestine 2014, sounded like a BB score 42-77 ? I would be interested to discover the year of the North Jud appearance. So... it looks like we have a tie for second.

Nut

He actually has 3 red rings from his time at Judson:

80-81 lost to Sheridan in 1A title game 27-0
84-85 lost to Sheridan in 1A title game 10-10
86-87 lost to South Putnam in 1A title game 29-21

1 blue (Griffith) and 4 red rings (Judson and New Prairie) in total.

BallinFreak
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:27 am

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by BallinFreak »

warrior wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:42 pm
Don't we have to include his record while at Homewood Flossmoor to get a fair look at his career? I get that is not necessarily the area, but to be fair to the man we have to include it.
My subtle (perhaps too subtle) reference for highlighting his early Portage success and excluding his HF record is to point out that maybe his success is due to having the Jimmy's and Joe's and not necessarily the X's and O's? I know you and OUM have a love/hate relationship, but I don't think OUM is far off when he points out that CP may not have the horses to dominate year in and year out. BUT, CP has been "finding" a lot of success lately in other team sports so maybe they get a few move ins.....

I was going to disagree with you when you said Radtke stands alone with Howell, but upon further reflection I agree for one main reason: Russ has achieved success at multiple schools. State championship appearances at 3 schools is unparalleled.
I am not saying CP is going to dominate year in and year out either. I just think this hire puts them in a great position moving forward. They have a coach who is going to get the most out of the talent that is there and has the respect level to lead a DAC team to some good things. That put together with the growth some are predicting for the school district and you have a good situation moving forward.

And I obviously agree with you about Russ and Howell....they stand alone at the top.

BallinFreak
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:27 am

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by BallinFreak »

warrior wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:33 pm
Godsmack wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 pm
You may have forgotten but there is someone else who I know well who has a Blue and a Red.
At one time won 29 straight games.
Has 5 Semi-state appearances.
2 of which are with a team that only had 2 winning seasons, prior to his arrival.
Is the all-time winningest coach at 2 schools.
The last 5 coaches at Andrean prior to Skinner all walked out with a ring. Until he's won a ring at a public, you're comparing apples and oranges
Who is this that Godsmack is talking about?

footballwrestler
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by footballwrestler »

BallinFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:21 pm
warrior wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:33 pm
Godsmack wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 pm
You may have forgotten but there is someone else who I know well who has a Blue and a Red.
At one time won 29 straight games.
Has 5 Semi-state appearances.
2 of which are with a team that only had 2 winning seasons, prior to his arrival.
Is the all-time winningest coach at 2 schools.
The last 5 coaches at Andrean prior to Skinner all walked out with a ring. Until he's won a ring at a public, you're comparing apples and oranges
Who is this that Godsmack is talking about?
Phil Mason

Nutsy
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by Nutsy »

warrior wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:33 pm
Nutsy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 pm
Upon further review Russ has a Red ring in the loss to New Palestine 2014, sounded like a BB score 42-77 ? I would be interested to discover the year of the North Jud appearance. So... it looks like we have a tie for second.

Nut

He actually has 3 red rings from his time at Judson:

80-81 lost to Sheridan in 1A title game 27-0
84-85 lost to Sheridan in 1A title game 10-10
86-87 lost to South Putnam in 1A title game 29-21

1 blue (Griffith) and 4 red rings (Judson and New Prairie) in total.
Thank you for that trip down memory lane.... I appreciate it !

Nut
Come on down to El Mote Slim's

28tossright
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:16 am

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by 28tossright »

warrior wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:53 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 am
they have one of the best coaches in the history of the area leading them.
:shock: One of the best in history????

16 years in INDIANA
63% career winning percentage
5 sectional titles (3 in his first 3 years)
1 regional title (first year as HFC)
1 semi-state title (first year as HFC)
16-17 record his last three years at Portage
12-18 record his three years at Michigan City


He's solid, but one ring doesn't make you a historically great coach. Due to only living here since 1993, my recency bias puts Kennedy, Howell, Radtke and maybe Mark Hoffman on the Region HFC Mount Rushmore. Who you got, BF?
I think Portage has had 2 winning seasons since he left. MC was an absolute mess before he got there, and one of their better teams had some injuries or illnesses at the end of the season which hurt their playoff run. I still feel he left MC in a good enough position that when PM took over it wasn't as much of a rebuild as it was when the Buzz train got there. I'm anxious to see how this works out in CP.

Nutsy
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by Nutsy »

On the topic of Portage... new OC over there.

Nut
Come on down to El Mote Slim's

Dann Ellenwood
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Re: Crown Point Hires Craig Buzea

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

Nutsy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:16 pm
On the topic of Portage... new OC over there.

Nut
Wally retire/resign?

Post Reply