Did Illinois make the right decision?

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
oldunclemark

Did Illinois make the right decision?

Post by oldunclemark »

What I mean is that Illinois pushed their season to the spring....avoiding the Covid.
.....they will have football now (hopefully) with a virus vaccine available and in spring weather.

Indiana completed their season with several boys having to miss games because of positive virus tests. No kid deaths.
But we will never know how many boys with positive tests passed on the virus to elders or coaches BEFORE we had a vaccine.

Knowing what you know now, would you, in hindsight, have pushed the Indiana 2020 football season to the spring of 2021 as Illinois did?

BallinFreak

Re: Did Illinois make the right decision?

Post by BallinFreak »

No.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

My vote... No.
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

I can not emphasize this enough...
NO!

oldunclemark

Post by oldunclemark »

I sure would have. So many boys had to sit out with positive tests...
Empty stadiums.

Illinois will play with a vaccine..More fans will be allowed in.
We were stubborn in Indiana and we did not make what seemed like an obvious move..

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

oldunclemark wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:45 am
Empty stadiums.

We were stubborn in Indiana and we did not make what seemed like an obvious move..
Ahh good to have you back. I have missed the days of you asking us our opinion and then you proceeding to not really care what our opinion is you just want to tell us what the right way to think is! :lol:

But back to your statement. You think Illinois is going to have a good experience just because the vaccine is out? Yeah good luck with that. They will have all the same obstacles other states dealt with in the fall.

With as crazy as Illinios has been during this deal they are going to have a rough time no matter when they play. Have you seen some of their guidelines? Masks while playing...90 sec mask breaks during quarters.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

You make some valid points OUM, I for one have teetered on the brink, it was a shame to see the Illinois seniors miss a big year. This question, even though I answered NO is multifaceted. The empty stadiums were a negative if the particular school followed the guidelines. Some numbskulls still believe the COVID 19 is a hoax, with more powerful strains on the horizon with the various mutations.

There were many schools allowing players to play while they were sick without a test. (what you don't know won't hurt you) Many school followed to protocol and were left out in the cold. It will be interesting to see how spring ball shakes out for Illinois since it is just around the corner. Many things have to be considered and I feel there are no clear cut answers in some circumstances.

Freak, I was busy hammering away when you posted your reply to OUM... just for grins could you point me in the direction of the Illinois Guidelines for Spring Football. I would love to do a little compare and contrast between Illinois and the Hoosier State.

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

oldunclemark

Post by oldunclemark »

BallinFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm
oldunclemark wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:45 am
Empty stadiums.

Ahh good to have you back. I have missed the days of you asking us our opinion and then you proceeding to not really care what our opinion is you just want to tell us what the right way to think is! :lol:

But back to your statement. You think Illinois is going to have a good experience just because the vaccine is out? Yeah good luck with that. They will have all the same obstacles other states dealt with in the fall.

With as crazy as Illinios has been during this deal they are going to have a rough time no matter when they play. Have you seen some of their guidelines? Masks while playing...90 sec mask breaks during quarters.

BF,
I know you are new to message boards. Let me explain how it works. :roll:

The poster (in this case me) asks a question meant to inspire discussion and debate.

The responder, who's job it is to engage an d debate, (in this case, you) fell down on the job. No counter opinion. No debate. Just one word answer.

So the poster (me) attempted to spark the discussion by taking one side of the issue.

TRANSLATED:
I was trying to get your opinion that you say I didn't care about.
The whole point of posting was to get your opinion so I could debate it. Everybody thinks they are right.. And even though you are wrong, half the time, I need you to express your often incorrect opinion so we can debate issues. Thats how a message board works.

On to the issue.
Yes. I expect the Illinois season to go well.
They will have fans. Coaches of a certain age can ALL get the vaccine and will not be at risk.
I expect a lot less positive tests and teams won't have to play games 10 players short like Lowell did or lose 33% of the season like Valparaiso.

If the goal was to let as many boys as possible a senior football season, Illinois, with a vaccine, has a better chance of doing it than Indiana did.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

You are going to be disappointed in your expectations.

Players are going to miss games. Positive tests will be around. Fans will be limited. Things are not going to look that much different from the Indiana season.

oldunclemark

Post by oldunclemark »

BallinFreak wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:06 am
You are going to be disappointed in your expectations.

Players are going to miss games. Positive tests will be around. Fans will be limited. Things are not going to look that much different from the Indiana season.

BF;
Many, many players did not play in Indiana games last fall. The names just were, obviously, not announced.
I dont know who didnt play for Knox or Chesterton or Rensselaer.
But I do have an idea who missed games for Lowell or Crown Point or Merrillville.

And its not the students who at risk. Its the teachers.
Its not the players, its the coaches. Old folks like me can get the vaccine. That changes the equation.

Fans. Lowell and CP drew good crowds. But some Indiana games were played in front of empty stands. You cant get more limited than that.
We were stubborn.