Lake Central

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Ratball

Re: Lake Central

Post by Ratball »

While everyone here bashes LC, and praises Merrillville/Morton and Hobart, it was just 2017 when Seiss was 1-9 and the Bricks had a few lean years in there as well.

But yes, LC kids just focus on different sports. Baseball been strong for years now. Softball and basketball usually pretty good on the girls side.

I live not too far from one of the middle schools in the LC district. I can see their field from my house and I have seen them practicing. All I can say is the whole team has like 21 kids on it. If this is their middle school feeder teams, I would be concerned.

Andrean has an absolute workhorse RB. A very talented WR in Flesher. And a QB dropped in their lap at the last minute with a kid who moved here from a Catholic school in Woodstock, IL. If he didn’t arrive, Andrean would be very limited, cuz their backup is not good. He is no Desomer or Merrill, but he can throw a ball at least. Add some nice complementary players (little junior WR, a tight end, and some big boys up front) and you can be a pretty good HS team. Oh, I forgot Bowen, too. Bowen is the only tri-town player who is any good on that roster. And Chris Skinner is a pretty damn good coach, too.

AD#8

Post by AD#8 »

Ratball, you are probably talking about Clark MS and 21 is probably a little light, but I don't think you are far off with that estimate. I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective, yes you want more kids, but if that team has 25 and the other has 25, you are talking about 50 freshman next year. Assuming 60% stick with it, you have 120 kids in your program every year at the high school level. Numbers aren't the problem at LC, lack of talent is. This year's varsity roster lacks any playmakers. The coaching could be more innovative, and creative, but they are limited with what they have out there.

Northwest Hoosier

Post by Northwest Hoosier »

AD#8 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:38 pm
Entitled might be strong, I just don't think football is a priority in the tri-town. Lake Central was too predictable on offense, and put their defense in tough spots with short fields. Also, don't diminish Andrean's accomplishment here, they have some play makers, which, ultimately was the difference. Lake Central lacks any true play makers on offense for a 6A school. There wasn't one player that Andrean had to key on, so they just had to play disciplined and be the better team athletically.
I don’t understand why Brickman2020 keeps referring Merrillville Pirates as Merrillville/Morton. 1 has been playing in merrillville since 7 years old. Only played for Morton 3 years. (Sophomore season got injured) The other played for merrillville until sophomore and junior season. Now they’re back.

RollTribe

Post by RollTribe »

Northwest Hoosier wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:49 pm
AD#8 wrote:
Entitled might be strong, I just don't think football is a priority in the tri-town. Lake Central was too predictable on offense, and put their defense in tough spots with short fields. Also, don't diminish Andrean's accomplishment here, they have some play makers, which, ultimately was the difference. Lake Central lacks any true play makers on offense for a 6A school. There wasn't one player that Andrean had to key on, so they just had to play disciplined and be the better team athletically.
I don’t understand why Brickman2020 keeps referring Merrillville Pirates as Merrillville/Morton. 1 has been playing in merrillville since 7 years old. Only played for Morton 3 years. (Sophomore season got injured) The other played for merrillville until sophomore and junior season. Now they’re back.
I don't know about all of their stories but we can call these kids by name if their stories have been written about publicly in the newspaper. JoJo Johnson lives in Merrillville and went to Morton because his dad was a coach on Morton up until this past offseason. The potential issue is not him playing for Merrillville now. It was actually that he went to go play at Morton. To quote the piece "He chose to go to Morton to be on the team with his father." which is clearly an athletics-based transfer and likely should have been rejected. Wish them all the best the rest of this season.

AD#8

Post by AD#8 »

Him playing at Morton is a non-issue. Many school corps. allow an employees children to attend as a courtesy. If his dad was receiving a check from Hammond, the younger Johnson has every right to attend. The kid wanted to play for his dad, I see no issue there, now he's playing at his home school, again, no issue. There are certainly far more egregious cases of students moving for athletic reasons, the Johnson case is small potatoes compared to other cases I've heard about and at least he lives where he's playing.

Northwest Hoosier

Post by Northwest Hoosier »

Go Merrillville Pirates

RussellRadtke

Post by RussellRadtke »

RollTribe wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:49 am
Northwest Hoosier wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:49 pm
AD#8 wrote:
I don't know about all of their stories but we can call these kids by name if their stories have been written about publicly in the newspaper. JoJo Johnson lives in Merrillville and went to Morton because his dad was a coach on Morton up until this past offseason. The potential issue is not him playing for Merrillville now. It was actually that he went to go play at Morton. To quote the piece "He chose to go to Morton to be on the team with his father." which is clearly an athletics-based transfer and likely should have been rejected. Wish them all the best the rest of this season.
I don't think Brickman was referring to Jojo, more likely the 3 dudes (OL/QB/WR) that "transferred" in 2 weeks before this season started after the Hammond schools had their season shut down. But hey, maybe their parents moved into 'Ville during those 2 weeks and they didn't transfer purely for athletic reasons. :roll: