Morton at Hobart

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Nutsy

Morton at Hobart

Post by Nutsy »

Another L for Hobart?

Nut
Come on down to El Monte Slim's (Wheeler's best kept secret)
Wheeler, IN . 46393

VikingNation

Re: Morton at Hobart

Post by VikingNation »

No shot, Bricks win this one

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

VikingNation wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:14 pm
That's what they said a few years back...

Nut
Wheeler, IN . 46393

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

Nutsy wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:08 pm
VikingNation wrote:

Nut

Hobart by 10

the dog

Post by the dog »

Nutsy wrote:
VikingNation wrote:

Nut
That would have at least been nine years ago....and when Roy Richards was there. Morton has had three coaches since then and has lost three games to Hobart since then by average score of 35-19, including a 42-21 loss in the playoffs when Morton was 9-1.

Is Morton capable of beating Hobart? Yes. But Hobart is definitely the favorite here. I don't think Morton's schedule has done them any favors in the past four weeks -- at Penn in a game they had no chance (35-0 Penn at half and then Penn called the dogs off), 46-6 win over a really weak Calumet team, an open week when they were supposed to play Bowman, and a 56-3 win over a Hammond Central team that really wasn't very good (despite of what people thought early -- this is a team that went OT with Highland, lost to a single A school that while a decent program, is down by their own standards this year, and then lost a game to a winless California team that traveled 2000 to play them) -- AND had a lot of players suspended when they played Morton last week.

I expect there to be a decent number of points scored but from games I've seen from both, I would expect that Morton is more likely than Hobart to get in their own with drive killing penalties or turnovers.

FWIW, Sagarin puts Hobart as a 5 to 6 point favorite at home against Morton.

RAZORBACK

Post by RAZORBACK »

the dog wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:38 pm
Nutsy wrote:
VikingNation wrote:

Nut
That would have at least been nine years ago....and when Roy Richards was there. Morton has had three coaches since then and has lost three games to Hobart since then by average score of 35-19, including a 42-21 loss in the playoffs when Morton was 9-1.

Is Morton capable of beating Hobart? Yes. But Hobart is definitely the favorite here. I don't think Morton's schedule has done them any favors in the past four weeks -- at Penn in a game they had no chance (35-0 Penn at half and then Penn called the dogs off), 46-6 win over a really weak Calumet team, an open week when they were supposed to play Bowman, and a 56-3 win over a Hammond Central team that really wasn't very good (despite of what people thought early -- this is a team that went OT with Highland, lost to a single A school that while a decent program, is down by their own standards this year, and then lost a game to a winless California team that traveled 2000 to play them) -- AND had a lot of players suspended when they played Morton last week.

I expect there to be a decent number of points scored but from games I've seen from both, I would expect that Morton is more likely than Hobart to get in their own with drive killing penalties or turnovers.

Which games of Morton have you watched? I have seen them play Hanover, Elkhart, and Hammond Central. I noticed #6 for Morton did not play against Hanover or Elkhart. I noticed he was playing with a club on his hand for a couple games. The Hanover game looked closer than what the score said and the Elkhart game was a shootout.

What happened to Hammond Central? Do you know which players were suspended for that Morton game?

the dog

Post by the dog »

RAZORBACK wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:01 am
the dog wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:38 pm
Nutsy wrote:

Nut

Which games of Morton have you watched? I have seen them play Hanover, Elkhart, and Hammond Central. I noticed #6 for Morton did not play against Hanover or Elkhart. I noticed he was playing with a club on his hand for a couple games. The Hanover game looked closer than what the score said and the Elkhart game was a shootout.

What happened to Hammond Central? Do you know which players were suspended for that Morton game?
#6 listed on Morton's roster would be Freddy Brown. Looks like he plays on the defensive side of the ball mostly. I can't tell you much about him other than last year it looks like he was one of their best defensive players. In terms of Hammond Central, I've been told it was a school discipline issue. Don't know which players were suspended as I don't know their team well enough in terms of individual players.

I saw the film on the Morton/Hanover Central game as well as Morton/Hammond Central film. In the Hanover Central game Morton was able to move the ball on the ground against Hanover Central (that part looked very similar to what Hobart did on the ground against Hanover Central). Morton did derail themselves on a couple of drives with penalties and had a botched snap inside the 10 that ended a drive. I think Morton also hurt themselves in that they would prefer not to punt in some situations where they should -- probably have some issues in that part of their game. I believe in the first quarter they went for it on fourth and 13 on the Hanover 45. They didn't convert and fortunately for them the Wildcats intercepted the ball inside the 10 instead of just knocking it down. In the passing game, Morton's MO seems to be to look for the long play. Low completion rate, high yards per catch. Much like the Hobart/Hanover Central game, Morton/Hanover Central was a competitive game where Hanover Central just made a couple more plays.

The Portage game was strange and was one that Portage really gave away. Credit to Morton for staying in it, but the Governors were down two scores in the fourth quarter and were outgained by 250 yards on the game. But Portage is 0-7 for a reason.

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy »

Hobart loses a close one. The Mojo is gone.

Nut
Wheeler, IN . 46393

BrickieJanet

Post by BrickieJanet »

Noooooooooo Nutsy!!!! You will see tonight Hobart takes the W!!!!!!!!

Nutsy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:33 pm

Nut

the dog

Post by the dog »

Nutsy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:33 pm

Nut
Oops.