Region contenders

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Brickman2020

Re: Region contenders

Post by Brickman2020 »

VikingNation wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:06 pm
HanShotFirst wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:56 pm
One could argue that Cimino isn't even the best QB in his conference. Hobart's Riley Johnston has just 28 fewer yards passing and 252 more yards rushing with one less game played. #2 passer, #5 rusher, and #1 in total yards in the conference. Slight edge to Cimino in TDs, 20 to Johnston's 19.

In terms of the entire area, it's Merrillville's Angel Nelson at the top. 1688 passing, 200+ yards per game, 17 TDs, passer rating of 134 - only playing eight games. Give him or Johnston an extra game and it's a different conversation IMHO.

1. Nelson
2. Johnston
3. Cimino
Let's start dissecting your comment with Angel Nelson. It is it really that hard to have those kind of numbers when you are surrounded Marcus Hardy, Jojo, and Amrani (pre-injury) and the other athletes at Merrillville. Angel is surrounded by multiple all area players at wideout.

Riley Johnston is not even close to as a good Cimino. Riley is short, makes bad reads, and makes majority of his completions on the run because he can't sit in the pocket. He really struggled against the tough teams on their schedule and threw an absolute heinous pick 6 to Andrean when his team needed him. You can't put a player above another when they don't win the head to head battle.

Its tough to go purely off stats because Andrean has blown out so many teams this year that their starters have really only played a few full games all year. Even last Friday against Lowell starters only played a couple series to open the third since it was 28-0 at halftime.

The best QB in the area cannot just be based on stats or else Blaze Cano from Hanover Central would be in your list.

It pains me to not be able to make the argument for our guy Maxiums Grimes but I watch a ton of region football and I am telling you the kid at Andrean is one of the best in the area.
High school stats mean very little to who is the best QB in the region. HC plays nobody so of course he’s gonna put up huge numbers. We are discussing who is the best QB, so who leads a team, throws a strong ball, makes good decisions and is mobile.

Riley is a dog and a great football player but he’s not a great Quarterback. He wins games, leads his team but I have to give it to the Andrean kid because he’s a better QB. Riley is the superior athlete no question there

Beastmode

Post by Beastmode »

I mean Andreans qb should be good, they get a new hand picked devout catholic slinger through Finn passing academy every year... I can't vote for Andrean.

Broadway Joe

Post by Broadway Joe »

New guy to NWI and I've seen a few references to "Finn Passing Academy" but can't seem to find much online about it? Is this an Andrean only QB training?

CB4

Post by CB4 »

Nope! That's how Hobart lost Zach Merrill.

Brickman2020

Post by Brickman2020 »

Beastmode wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:43 am
I mean Andreans qb should be good, they get a new hand picked devout catholic slinger through Finn passing academy every year... I can't vote for Andrean.
The Finn Passing academy has produced more varsity offensive linemen than varsity QBs. Andrean gets great QBs through the transfer portal not home grown.
They are the Oklahoma of the region, just takes a transfer and wins with them. rinse. repeat.

Coach Nowlin

Post by Coach Nowlin »

Broadway Joe wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:02 pm
New guy to NWI and I've seen a few references to "Finn Passing Academy" but can't seem to find much online about it? Is this an Andrean only QB training?
What school is on Broadway?? Who has a QB named Joe??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Beastmode

Post by Beastmode »

Broadway Joe... haha, funny. Its always interesting each year to see what new public school will loose their players to devout Catholicism. For a religion built on standing by your brothers.. seems weird that this year they had a 4 year program player not even get a shot because this new QB1s dad just happened to land a job in NWI when Illinois cancelled the season. Coincidence? I think not. Unless he is a priest or bishop, its fishy and always will be. 5 out of the 6 favorites for state this year are private "religious" schools in 1a Indy Lutheran, 2a Andrean, 3a Bishop Chatard, 4a Indy Roncalli, 5a Cathedral. I mean comon next thing you know we will be playing the state games on Noah's Ark.

pvsharks

Post by pvsharks »

Beastmode:
Andrean is who they are and have always been. With no boundaries to determine where they get their students, they must sell their Catholic education. Andrean has made a strong commitment to field highly competitive athletic teams which along with the quality education, becomes a strong selling point when it comes to determine where to send your children to school. This is nothing new it has been going on since the inception of Andrean in 1959 Every school in NWI has lost students to Andrean , but answer this Has Andrean made the competition stronger in NWI ??

Brickman2020

Post by Brickman2020 »

Beastmode wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:52 pm
Broadway Joe... haha, funny. Its always interesting each year to see what new public school will loose their players to devout Catholicism. For a religion built on standing by your brothers.. seems weird that this year they had a 4 year program player not even get a shot because this new QB1s dad just happened to land a job in NWI when Illinois cancelled the season. Coincidence? I think not. Unless he is a priest or bishop, its fishy and always will be. 5 out of the 6 favorites for state this year are private "religious" schools in 1a Indy Lutheran, 2a Andrean, 3a Bishop Chatard, 4a Indy Roncalli, 5a Cathedral. I mean comon next thing you know we will be playing the state games on Noah's Ark.
Sounds like you’re in favor or splitting up the state to have the public schools play in the A system then just have 2 private school divisions. Big school and small school?

CB4

Post by CB4 »

Tradition never graduates is the biggest load of crap I ever heard. It never graduates because it moves in every year. When's the last time they fielded a freshman team for football. Don't tell me they're building a solid program from ground up. Didn't a LC kid move in for his senior year to play QB last year? Highly competitive athletic teams? Their wrestling problem is terrible along with alot of their other teams. Quality education? Why because they only let in the kids they want to let in. Public schools have to take everyone, so of course the private schools test scores are going to be better.
If there was a better private school (not even a catholic school ) to go to in the region we wouldn't even be talking about Andrean. It really comes down to the travel ball mentality, I'm better then you, I'm going somewhere else to play. They don't care about the kids they grew up with or their community they live in. They want to win and beat up on small rural schools to win state championships. It's sad, Lafayette Central Catholic, Fort Wayne Luers and andrean have no business playing 1a and 2a schools. Cathedral should never go back to 4a also.
Illinois does it right! They put a multiplier on their enrollments and bump the private schools up to a class that more suitable for their special advantage. Would the privates still win absolutely but when Cathedral and LCC bumped up their run of consecutive titles stopped.
My advice for younger kids, stay home and work harder to win a state championship for the community that your from. It will mean so much more winning it with the boys you grew up with not the kids that just moved in.