What happens with new Hammond schools?

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Clistonb

What happens with new Hammond schools?

Post by Clistonb »

After Hammond goes from four high schools to two, do they end up staying in the GLAC, or does the NCC add one or both?

CityRedDevils

Re: What happens with new Hammond schools?

Post by CityRedDevils »

It would be a huge win for the new Hammond High and Morton to join the NCC. Unfortunately, only Football, Basketball and Soccer would be beneficial to the Northwest Crossroads Conference. The other sports teams in the Hammond schools are not really competitive in any other sport that I know of which makes them unappealing to the NCC.

footballwrestler

Post by footballwrestler »

Hammond High is now named....

Hammond Central Wolves.

Yikes. They couldn’t come up with anything more creative than wolves? Stupid. Now we have Boone Grove, Michigan City and Hammond Central Wolves. The Central name is a head scratcher to me. East and West is the most logical. Why have central when there are going to be 2 schools? If they were smart, they’d keep the Hammond High and Morton names. Too late for that. Good thing they’ve wasted I’m sure tens of thousands on a “brand consultant” from Denver to do the rebrands :roll:

Morton’s new name vote was tabled by the board.

As for a conference, I’d be very surprised if they get into the NCC. Big factor will also be the ADs they hire. I assume Larry Moore Sr. is going to become Hammond Central’s AD. Morton is up in the air.

Also, Hammond Central won’t have a football field for the foreseeable future. In typical dysfunctional Hammond fashion, the new school is not coming with a football field - the blueprints called for it - but they’ve run out of room.

Clistonb

Post by Clistonb »

CityRedDevils wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 am
It would be a huge win for the new Hammond High and Morton to join the NCC. Unfortunately, only Football, Basketball and Soccer would be beneficial to the Northwest Crossroads Conference. The other sports teams in the Hammond schools are not really competitive in any other sport that I know of which makes them unappealing to the NCC.
The money sports are the ones that matter. And who else is the NCC going to get? Six schools is not an ideal number. Eight is a great number. The Hammond schools get them to eight.

Clistonb

Post by Clistonb »

footballwrestler wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 am

Hammond Central Wolves.

Yikes. They couldn’t come up with anything more creative than wolves? Stupid. Now we have Boone Grove, Michigan City and Hammond Central Wolves. The Central name is a head scratcher to me. East and West is the most logical. Why have central when there are going to be 2 schools? If they were smart, they’d keep the Hammond High and Morton names. Too late for that. Good thing they’ve wasted I’m sure tens of thousands on a “brand consultant” from Denver to do the rebrands :roll:

As for a conference, I’d be very surprised if they get into the NCC. Big factor will also be the ADs they hire. I assume Larry Moore Sr. is going to become Hammond Central’s AD. Morton is up in the air.

Also, Hammond Central won’t have a football field for the foreseeable future. In typical dysfunctional Hammond fashion, the new school is not coming with a football field - the blueprints called for it - but they’ve run out of room.
I expect Morton will stay Morton. It got 48% of the votes and no other name will get that many votes.

Unbelievable about Hammond Central not having a football field. Will they use the old Hammond High field?

footballwrestler

Post by footballwrestler »

Clistonb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:29 am
footballwrestler wrote:

Hammond Central Wolves.

I expect Morton will stay Morton. It got 48% of the votes and no other name will get that many votes.

Unbelievable about Hammond Central not having a football field. Will they use the old Hammond High field?
The old field is currently all torn up and dismantled from the construction. The bleachers have been taken apart and the press box that says Bernie Krueger Field is sitting along Sohl Avenue in the grass.

There were proposals to build a field on Civic Center land. Let’s see if that gets done by next fall. I doubt it. I really hope I’m wrong though. That football program is in shambles. They’ve lost 24 games in a row. They played on saturdays at Morton last season or on the road. Numbers are extremely low. It’ll be a major rebuild project. I’d love to see a great hire come in and resurrect the program. It’ll be extremely important to start right from the get go and hit the ground running coach and facility wise.

The SCH does not have the stability or the parent following to be members of the NCC. Watch last night’s board meeting for proof of that. It was a mess.

6 members hasn’t hurt the NCC 3 years in. I really don’t see New Hammond High and Morton getting in unless their programs make a 180 in this new era.

5A football sectional will be fun with Hammond High, Morton, Munster and probably Michigan City In ‘21.

Clistonb

Post by Clistonb »

footballwrestler wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:09 pm
Clistonb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:29 am
footballwrestler wrote:

Hammond Central Wolves.

The old field is currently all torn up and dismantled from the construction. The bleachers have been taken apart and the press box that says Bernie Krueger Field is sitting along Sohl Avenue in the grass.

There were proposals to build a field on Civic Center land. Let’s see if that gets done by next fall. I doubt it. I really hope I’m wrong though. That football program is in shambles. They’ve lost 24 games in a row. They played on saturdays at Morton last season or on the road. Numbers are extremely low. It’ll be a major rebuild project. I’d love to see a great hire come in and resurrect the program. It’ll be extremely important to start right from the get go and hit the ground running coach and facility wise.

The SCH does not have the stability or the parent following to be members of the NCC. Watch last night’s board meeting for proof of that. It was a mess.

6 members hasn’t hurt the NCC 3 years in. I really don’t see New Hammond High and Morton getting in unless their programs make a 180 in this new era.

5A football sectional will be fun with Hammond High, Morton, Munster and probably Michigan City In ‘21.
You're assuming that Valpo is going back to 6A? Judging by the numbers in their freshman and sophomore classes, I think they likely stay 5A, unless they get back to state in 5A this fall (which is certainly possible but no guarantee). Munster may be borderline to drop to 4A, unless they've got a lot of kids coming up who are currently in 7th and 8th grades.

As far as six members not hurting the NCC, that's largely because the GLAC also has six members, which helps a lot with nonconference football scheduling. Many of the NCC's week 3 and week 4 opponents are GLAC schools. (Andrean plays Hammond in week 4; Highland plays Gavit in week 4; Lowell plays Morton in week 3; Munster plays East Chicago in week 3 and Morton in week 4.) Take away a couple GLAC schools and suddenly, some NCC schools are scrambling to fill out their football schedules. Having eight members means you only need to fill two non conference games, and since most schools don't play league games in weeks 1 or 2, it's relatively easy to do that. It's not as easy to fill holes in weeks 3 or 4.

Portagefan23

Post by Portagefan23 »

The NCC makes the most sense for Hammond Central and Morton. What about East Chicago? Will they go back to be independant or join the GSSC?

Portagefan23

Post by Portagefan23 »

I predict in 10 years the DAC and NCC will be this

DAC
Andrean
Munster
CP
LC
Merrillville
Portage
Chesterton
Valpo

NCC
Hobart
Lowell
Highland
Griffith
Hammond Central
Morton
KV
Hanover Central

Clistonb

Post by Clistonb »

Portagefan23 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 pm
The NCC makes the most sense for Hammond Central and Morton. What about East Chicago? Will they go back to be independant or join the GSSC?
The GSSC isn't going to go anywhere near East Chicago.